No announcement yet.

COmpound cut Angel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I now have 500 3/4" wheels drilled out to for halos. I have thought of using a dowel to make them also, but I think the grain running that way is a bit weak for my needs.
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    No PHD, but I have my GED and my DD 214"
    Website https://craftingcouple.com/

Comment

With the wheels you have most of the Halo nicely rounded. If you did a dowel there would be additional rounding involved. But the turning would be fun. I suspect that the wheels have the same grain direction as the dowel would.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I am not so sure of the grain direction issue. The grain of a dowel cut ring will be from front to back (or top to bottom) whereas the wheels I get have the grain running across the wheel. I have drilled out five hundred of these and only three broke in the process.

Comment

Could you stack the wheels to drill them? Thicker vice jig? 500, one at a time....

I understand the grain direction and think you are right about the strength. And yep the additional smoothing and rounding over would defeat the purpose.
          AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Would you please post a pic of the back side of the angel too? I comprehending assembly as well as aesthetics when I can see various angles of projects like this. Like with the pics of how you cut the wheels into halos, visual aids are really appreciated. Thank you!
            Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I have drilled out two at a time successfully for a while but after awhile my little jig gets worn and one on the wheels just spins so I went back to one at a time. Here is thec Angel.jpeg is the pattern I used: Side view and back view. Wings are cut separately and glued in place as are the halos. I use epoxy on the halos and white glue on the wings. The flat part on the head is where the halo glues in place. Notice the 5° angle on the bottom. This is to accommodate the balance when the weight of the

Drilling halos 4.jpg
              1/4" thick wings are glued in place.
              c Angel Wings 2.jpeg

Comment

Well Jim looking for something else I found about 20 wheels. Guess I, I mean Bruce, will have to give your method a try.
                Last edited by will8989; 05-25-2018, 07:45 PM.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• alexscrollsaw
                  Tiger fretwork
                  alexscrollsaw
                  Tiger fretwork, 450 cuts
                  Size 10x13 inches (without frame), birch plywood, 1/6 inch, gloss varnish
                  pattern is available at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AlexFoxUA

Today, 04:03 AM
                • will8989
                  Conversation with Bruce
                  will8989
                  Me: I can’t believe I’m almost out of wood. Only 2small pieces of cherry and some poplar. No wood, no baskets for Wednesday night. Bruce: well, where is the wood? Me: in the bank. Bruce: what’s it doing in the bank? Me: seriously? He went to the carpenter shop where the sawmill is for Elm and...
                  Today, 12:56 AM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Farmers Mkt today
                  will8989
                  Another great day yesterday, almost a sell out!!! Sold all but 3 Small baskets, some card holders and a few other things. Repeat customers. Freezing cold!!! Now, what do I take for Wednesday night?
                  Today, 12:40 AM
                • hotshot
                  Reply to Coin Cutting Weekend
                  hotshot
                  Sorry, I totally missed this question, for CorelDraw, crop you pattern to the edges on all sides, then scale the pattern to 100mm x 100mm then export that to PDF. What that does is than anyone can take you pattern then make it fit any coin by just printing to a percentage that matches the size of the...
                  Yesterday, 11:44 PM
                • Quartz43
                  Reply to epoxy
                  Quartz43
                  I have used several different epoxy. I use 5 and 15 minute epoxy for most things. I use the Bob Smith brand from Amazon. I mix it in small pill cups and measure by weight with a cheap small digital scale. One does need to be careful as it is not mixed one to one by weight and you have to check directions....
                  Yesterday, 06:51 PM
                Working...
                X