COmpound cut Angel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COmpound cut Angel

I have been making a lot of compound cut figures using a pattern from Diana Thompson's book. I altered the pattern a bit to make it more robust so it can be used as a toy. Originally designed as an ornament.
    The halo is a wooden toy wheel.3/4" drilled out a bit. Total height is 4 1/4" made from a two by four.
    Angel 3d.jpg
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    No PHD, but I have my GED and my DD 214"
    Website https://craftingcouple.com/

That's really neat. I like the halo made from a wheel.
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Great idea with the wheel. I will have to try. We made a bunch of the cancer awareness angels a couple of years ago and I had to do over 100 halos and I did on lathe but this would be much easier.

Like the idea of a standing toy.
      Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

My husband turns a blank on the lathe, then I cut off the rings for the halo. Which book was that in? I don’t remember seeing that pattern.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

and I thought you only made beautiful inlay boxes.... Jim very nice. I like the robust look.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
            My husband turns a blank on the lathe, then I cut off the rings for the halo. Which book was that in? I don’t remember seeing that pattern.
            The book is titled "Compound Christmas ornaments for the scroll saw" By Diana Thompson (2003) This angel is pictured on the front of the book.

Comment

Yep. There it is. I’ve made quite a few things from this book. The dog bone was a good seller when I made them. My New Years resolution is to look at all my books and make something from each one. I found Judy Gale Roberts workbook. There’s a chicken on the front my daughter will just “love”.😂🐓🐓
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by Don in Brooklin On View Post
                Great idea with the wheel. I will have to try. We made a bunch of the cancer awareness angels a couple of years ago and I had to do over 100 halos and I did on lathe but this would be much easier.

Like the idea of a standing toy.
                I am still tweaking my pattern for this angel. Making it easier to cut or other changes.
                I was drilling out the 3/4" wheels and decided to try cutting out the center with my scroll saw. I put two wheels in a small clamp and cut the two at the same time. It worked out well and easier and quicker than drilling them.

Comment

I have made about 200 of these angels and recently bought a 9" Grizzly band saw to use in making them. It works well for this and other patterns, along with my scroll saw. I have recently received some 3/4" wheels to make halos with. I made a jig/clamp to drill out the 3/4" wheels for the halos. I used a 3/8" brad point drill bit to make these wheels into halos.

Comment

Drilling halos 1.jpgDrilling halos 3.jpgDrilling halos 2.jpg
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Jim Finn; 05-16-2018, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Photos of some of the halos.

Comment

Always thinking! Nice simple solution.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

The angle it neat. How about for making the halos, drill the correct size dowel about 6" deep and then slice the halos off of that. Be easiest to drill the dowel on a lathe, but a jig could be made for a drill press.
                          AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Scrappile View Post
                            The angle it neat. How about for making the halos, drill the correct size dowel about 6" deep and then slice the halos off of that. Be easiest to drill the dowel on a lathe, but a jig could be made for a drill press.
                            This is the same process I use. I made a little jig (which I can't seem to find at the moment) to cut the halls at a uniform thickness.
                            Scott
                            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

That’s what Bruce does. He puts a blank he has drilled out, rounds to right size then takes a pencil and draws lines for me to cut on.
                              Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X