"Puzzle Blocks" for contest & charity give away

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Puzzle Blocks" for contest & charity give away

Local woodworkers store is doing a toy contest, where any toys donated at the end will go to a foster kids charity (if the woodworking toy maker so chooses). I'm not the toy making pro, but I decided to have fun for a good cause.
    I narrowed my scope to the age group of 1-4ish, trying to do something that would keep a kid's interest for more than 6 months.
    The barn front and back are the same sizes, about 14" x 14"
    Puzzle insets on inside of both front (lid) and back (bottom) are each 1/4" deep.
    Puzzle pieces are actually 1/2" thick blocks, all being too big to fit thru papertowel roll.
    Blocks puzzle pieces are made from natural hardwoods like maple and cherry.
    The barn I handpainted with craft acrylics, and sealed the paint with polyurethane.
    The blocks inset into the puzzle case, allowing top and bottom to snuggle the pieces securely when Velcro'd closed.
    The top Velcro also acts as a handle, and no pieces fall out when being carried or stored.
    Like all wooden puzzles it's heavy coming in at 3 pounds, but's rugged and sturdy.
    2 year old nephew though, handled it like it was next to nothing.
    Yes, this was my concept and design.
    But I might do something like this again in the future, so I am open to suggestions.
    Puzzle, blocks, and carrying case Barn closed with Velcro Open Velcro handle to flip open
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Linda, that is amazing. A wonderful design and completion. A very worthwhile cause.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

WOW! That is an awesome job. That will keep some kids real busy. Wonderful job.
      AKA Paul from Washington State
      Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

Great concept and design! I hope you choose to do mare along this line of design. Also talk to SSWWC they might be interested in something like this.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Great idea on the idea and the implementation of it. Great cause too. Thanks for sharing.
          Melanie from East TN

Comment

Rolf, I just might have to consider it. I haven't done magazine pieces in almost 3 years, so I'm a little rusty. But I have to admit, sharing ideas is always great. Thank you for the encouragement.
            Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

My grandson would love that. It would fit in with the farm set we got him last year. Not only does it teach shapes, it is also good for dexterity. Well done.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X