Retractable landing gear revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retractable landing gear revisited

My latest project involved some metalworking. The plan was to build a toy plane that looks like a DC-3 (or C-47, or Dakota...) with a retractable landing gear. Looking through some drawings of the real DC-3, I found that the gear retracted forwards into a wheel well just aft of the engine, so I had to find a way to rotate the gear along an axle in the back use a moveable link in the front that you can slide forward or aft to move the gear in or out. In the end I resorted to making the sliding mechanism out of a pair of paperclips. This involved lots of fancy work with a pair of needle-nose pliers, but in the end I got it to work somehow. Now I just had to design the plane around it.

The plane is a straightforward cut-and-glue affair made out of 1/4' oak. It was my first time using oak instead of my usual pine or aspen craftwood, but I found that the extra density of the oak allowed me to cut the details a lot more sharper and closer to the edges that I would have dared with my other models. The fuselage and engine bays are cut out of one layer, which gives the total a rather flat look, but also makes the result more toy-like and less model. The props were cut out of the same 1/4' oak and fastened to the engines with some nails. In a later stage I might add some wooden beads to the top of the nail to simulate a prop spinner. but for now, I am satisfied with the result of a rather primitive but overall charming toy plane.

I am not that sure if the metal wheel assembly is something I would want to repeat in other models. It looks kind-of crude. So your personal views on this would be greatly appreciated.

'Niklas
    Yep, it's a DC-3, flat one-layer fuselage Sitting on the tarmac, you can clearly see that the fuselage is just one piece of 1/4' oak Another view, clearly showing off the landing gear

I probably would have made a couple of "arms" on each side of the wheel to attach the linkage so the wheel can still turn. I like the concept though.
    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
      Reply to Drum sander tool
      handibunny
      Just saw an interview about the new SuperMax 16-32 on Facebook, and it was mentioned that the new folding infeed and outfeed tables are available for the 19-38. Price is about $149.
      Today, 03:30 PM
    • will8989
      Reply to Woodpeckers
      will8989
      Yes the email said one and done. Bruce rates their tools with Inca.
      Today, 02:33 PM
    • bstark
      Reply to Scrapwood Bowl
      bstark
      Brilliant! I love it. I have tons of scrap wood that I just can't part with... and I have been pondering what I should do with it. Some of the pieces can be used with intarsia, but honestly, I am running out of storage for it. This is a great idea that I will be happy to borrow. =) Nice work.
      Today, 11:01 AM
    • Stoney
      Reply to This doesn't happen often in the shop
      Stoney
      Yeah blade clamps falling on the floor huh? And I thought that only happened with a Hegner. I couldn't believe it the first time it happened to me with my Hegner. I finally got tired of looking for the bottom clamp when it left the scene and decided to do something about it.. I made a combination...
      Today, 10:47 AM
    • BobD
      Reply to Drum sander tool
      BobD
      (facebook algorithms not allowing me to find the page right now... doh.) If the new one is the same one I receive a press release about (the quick adjustment lever, and folding infeed/outfeed tables), I've reached out to them asking if these can be retrofit onto older sanders...

Bob
      Today, 10:04 AM
    Working...
    X