Retractable landing gear revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retractable landing gear revisited

My latest project involved some metalworking. The plan was to build a toy plane that looks like a DC-3 (or C-47, or Dakota...) with a retractable landing gear. Looking through some drawings of the real DC-3, I found that the gear retracted forwards into a wheel well just aft of the engine, so I had to find a way to rotate the gear along an axle in the back use a moveable link in the front that you can slide forward or aft to move the gear in or out. In the end I resorted to making the sliding mechanism out of a pair of paperclips. This involved lots of fancy work with a pair of needle-nose pliers, but in the end I got it to work somehow. Now I just had to design the plane around it.

The plane is a straightforward cut-and-glue affair made out of 1/4' oak. It was my first time using oak instead of my usual pine or aspen craftwood, but I found that the extra density of the oak allowed me to cut the details a lot more sharper and closer to the edges that I would have dared with my other models. The fuselage and engine bays are cut out of one layer, which gives the total a rather flat look, but also makes the result more toy-like and less model. The props were cut out of the same 1/4' oak and fastened to the engines with some nails. In a later stage I might add some wooden beads to the top of the nail to simulate a prop spinner. but for now, I am satisfied with the result of a rather primitive but overall charming toy plane.

I am not that sure if the metal wheel assembly is something I would want to repeat in other models. It looks kind-of crude. So your personal views on this would be greatly appreciated.

'Niklas
    Yep, it's a DC-3, flat one-layer fuselage Sitting on the tarmac, you can clearly see that the fuselage is just one piece of 1/4' oak Another view, clearly showing off the landing gear

I probably would have made a couple of "arms" on each side of the wheel to attach the linkage so the wheel can still turn. I like the concept though.
    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dan A
      Magazine Subscription
      Dan A
      Every year for Christmas my wife renews my subscription to the magazine. This year she managed to subscribe to it twice. She thinks she was able to cancel one of the subscriptions but since it hasn't arrived yet she wonders if she managed to cancel both orders. Is there a way for us to find out if the...
      Today, 12:33 PM
    • Dan A
      Reply to Has there ever been
      Dan A
      I would be curious also. Back in March of 2014 the switch on my Delta quit working. Now last weekend it quit working again. Don't know if it's the switch or not. And of course I had a request from a friend of my wifes to cut something for a little girl. We've been talking about maybe getting a new scroll...
      Today, 12:29 PM
    • Dan A
      Reply to Treasure hunt!
      Dan A
      When I got all of my dads woodworking books, wood reference books and pattern books this was in with every thing and yes there a quite a few patterns in the three ring binder.

Dan
      Today, 12:19 PM
    • hotshot
      Reply to Only an hour away!
      hotshot
      Look at that Curly Maple, wow!
      Today, 12:18 PM
    • Stephanie Weaver
      Only an hour away!
      Stephanie Weaver
      Drooling on my tablet!! http://www.woodieswoodshop.com
      Today, 12:08 PM