Cars and trailer and... dinosaur?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars and trailer and... dinosaur?

Finally got the birthday gifts painted. Not great paintwork, but I am no painter. With luck the paint will get all beat up from use anyway.

See my earlier posts in "Work in Progress" if you wish more background information. Each piece is about 6" long, 2" wide, and 2 3/4" high with the wheels.
    I did not press my luck by trying to paint windows. The little camping trailer is not to scale - deliberately - but I do think is is kinda cute The party theme is dinosaurs, so I decided a Speed Stegosaurus was needed.

I like what you are doing with these.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Love the station wagon with the trailer. Although. I would have cut some windows... How is cutting 2 in. thick wood working out? For me it's about the thickest my scrollsaw can handle. It goes death slow and still I manage to break at least onw aawblase every hour.

Comment

Only one blade an hour in thick wood, wow. What blades are you using?
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Ennobee View Post
          How is cutting 2 in. thick wood working out? For me it's about the thickest my scrollsaw can handle. It goes death slow and still I manage to break at least onw aawblase every hour.
          I used a no. 5 skip tooth from a package of Hawk the scroll saw maker. I have no idea who makes them.

The material is re-purposed dimensioned lumber from building our house nearly 10 years ago. Some kind of pine from my box "Pieces of wood too small to save". I planed and glued up some pieces, then ripped them to height and width. They cut reasonably quickly and I used but one blade for the set, plus a couple of other pieces I needed at the time. My RBI G4 has no problem with 2" material.

I did think about windows (and bumpers, and tumblehome, and other refinements) but decided that strength was going to be prime requirement for a three-year-old. And I was right. They were immediately put into service as crash test vehicles.

Comment

Way cool. I go through blades about every 20 minutes, but then again I don't like dull blades.
            Denny
            ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

With 2 in. thick wood,I would go through one blade every twenty minutes too if I wouldn't loose half of my time doing other things then cutting. I remember I did so when I was in my little box-making phase. At that time I was quite happy with my no.5 reverse-tooothblase from Pegas. I used a no.7, even a no.9 blade as well, but most I did so for sawing out drawers because I wanted a big gap between drawer and wall to make the drawer slide easier.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• turtleteasers
                Reply to Triangular Pieces
                turtleteasers
                [What blade for this?]

I used a Pegas 2/0 skip tooth blade for this and all my 1/4" plywood puzzles. Any 2/0 blade will give similar results, as long as it is a simple blade which cuts only on the down-stroke. I stick with Pegas because I have found them to be consistent....
                Today, 12:16 PM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Triangular Pieces
                Rolf
                Lots of Wow's here also. What blade for this?
                Today, 10:20 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Black lacquer
                Rolf
                Are you thinking spray or brush? If it is a big grain you will need to use a grain filler, I have never used a filler so can't help much there. This may help a bit.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...k_Lacquer.html
                Today, 10:16 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Kitchen cabinets officially started today!!!
                Rolf
                Looking good! What will you do with the shelf edges?
                Today, 10:11 AM
              • campasano
                Reply to Whirligig
                campasano
                Rolf, I use White pine or Cedar but the most important aspect is the painting technique. I always put on a white primer, use fine steel wool to remove imperfections, Apply exterior outdoor paint, rub fine steel wool after each application when dry and final finish I apply clear poly ( spray can )...
                Today, 09:59 AM
              Working...
              X