Compound cut VW Beetle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound cut VW Beetle

Some earlier posts got me thinking that the wooden Beetle cars I have seen so far all missed the characteristic Beetle sidespats.... and before I knew it, I was already making plans to build a vintage VW Beetle -with sidespats- as a coupound cut. I ended up making two demonstration models, all about 2 1/2 x 1 inch approx. Look fine so far, but the next version definitely gets cut out wheels.
    Attached Files

Cool! How did you do it? With the front and back profile the wheels would be connected... how did you get the piece out between the wheels?

Comment

I basically cut them out of one block of wood (Actually I glued two 1/2 in. strips together with a little 1/8 strip of dark wood in the middle for detail.) Below are the plans I drew up. I made them from 3-view blueprints of the original beetle I found on the internet (The-Blueprints.com - The largest free blueprint collection on the Internet) Right now they are still a bit scetchy as most of the how-to and what-goes-first only exists in my head. I'll keep working on it however.

The images are 200 pixels wide, so on a 100dpi printer they would fit a 2x2x2.5in. block of wood (like a leftover piece of 2-by-4). I printed them on half scale for a 1x1x1_1/4 block with the middle stripe glued in.

more to follow as I make another demo model later this weekend.

'Niklas
      Attached Files

Comment

So how is this project coming along. Need updates...<grin>
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

nice job ,would not thought one could do that. Lance

Comment

Little uodate: In the three months since, I made several more designs and ended up with so many cars I had to post them in a separate gallery. (Compound Cut Cars - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Photo Gallery) In particular the family of Chevy vans/trucks/pickups turned out pretty nice. If I ever get good enough with Inkscape I'll start posting plans

Comment

Sweeeeet cuts Ennobee
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I really like the racing stripe.

George

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                  Reply to My covid angel
                  by NC Scroller
                  Whatever way you decide to do if you are happy and your brother in law is happy it was a good idea. If you really want to be brave use it as a learning experience. Make several of them using different suggestions and see the difference....
                  Today, 12:35 PM
                • Bill Wilson
                  Reply to Tough Decisions
                  by Bill Wilson
                  Well, unfortunately, I have also decided to let my subscription lapse. I've been debating it for the past couple years. It isn't so much the money, but it's more the disappointment when yet another issue has so little in it that really appeals to me. The final straw was this past Fall/Winter edition...
                  Today, 09:51 AM
                • planeur
                  Reply to My covid angel
                  by planeur
                  Thanks to all !😀 Your comment are very good and make sense!

My piece is 8"X8" X 1/2" thick.
                  I though when I cutted the piece to do it in 1 piece or 4/5 , but after a while I decided to do it in one piece and carved it to have a 3D aspect.
                  Was it a good idea.....?...
                  Today, 09:45 AM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to My covid angel
                  by Rolf
                  Great designe! I would have gone a bit further than Linda, Scott and Gladefade I would cut it into more pieces to make shaping easier. Taper the clouds from right to left, taper the wings so that they are lower where they attach to the body. Taper the neck so that it looks like it is going into the...
                  Today, 09:02 AM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to Tough Decisions
                  by Rolf
                  The never ending dilemma. I only get two magazines SSWWC and Wood carving Illustrated. Even if I don't make something in every issue there is usually something in each one that I have never tried and that will either challenge or inspire me. Yes I know that I do test cutting for them and they have occasionally...
                  Today, 08:49 AM
                Working...
                X