Compound cut VW Beetle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound cut VW Beetle

Some earlier posts got me thinking that the wooden Beetle cars I have seen so far all missed the characteristic Beetle sidespats.... and before I knew it, I was already making plans to build a vintage VW Beetle -with sidespats- as a coupound cut. I ended up making two demonstration models, all about 2 1/2 x 1 inch approx. Look fine so far, but the next version definitely gets cut out wheels.
    Attached Files

Cool! How did you do it? With the front and back profile the wheels would be connected... how did you get the piece out between the wheels?

Comment

I basically cut them out of one block of wood (Actually I glued two 1/2 in. strips together with a little 1/8 strip of dark wood in the middle for detail.) Below are the plans I drew up. I made them from 3-view blueprints of the original beetle I found on the internet (The-Blueprints.com - The largest free blueprint collection on the Internet) Right now they are still a bit scetchy as most of the how-to and what-goes-first only exists in my head. I'll keep working on it however.

The images are 200 pixels wide, so on a 100dpi printer they would fit a 2x2x2.5in. block of wood (like a leftover piece of 2-by-4). I printed them on half scale for a 1x1x1_1/4 block with the middle stripe glued in.

more to follow as I make another demo model later this weekend.

'Niklas
      Attached Files

Comment

So how is this project coming along. Need updates...<grin>
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

nice job ,would not thought one could do that. Lance

Comment

Little uodate: In the three months since, I made several more designs and ended up with so many cars I had to post them in a separate gallery. (Compound Cut Cars - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Photo Gallery) In particular the family of Chevy vans/trucks/pickups turned out pretty nice. If I ever get good enough with Inkscape I'll start posting plans

Comment

Sweeeeet cuts Ennobee
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I really like the racing stripe.

George

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                  Reply to My lucky day!
                  by tgiro01
                  Connie & I got our first shot a couple weeks ago. Scheduled for the 10th for the second one.
                  Yesterday, 09:40 PM
                • planeur
                  Reply to Another Mid-Michigan Scroller
                  by planeur
                  Nice pieces, well done , I like that kind of bowls.

planeur
                  Yesterday, 05:56 PM
                • Misouri Wayne
                  Reply to My puffin coming home....
                  by Misouri Wayne
                  Nice combination of different art forms.
                  Thanks for sharing.
                  Yesterday, 05:02 PM
                • Quartz43
                  Reply to My lucky day!
                  by Quartz43
                  My wife and I got the Moderna vaccine with our second shot last week. We had no reaction after the first shot but both of us had some body and fatigue for two days after the 2nd dose.
                  Yesterday, 04:44 PM
                • JeffieK
                  Reply to My lucky day!
                  by JeffieK
                  Here in Mid-Michigan, my wife & I (both 65) got our first shot - the Pfizer one - last Sunday; with our second one scheduled for March 21st. Both of us were a little fatigued that evening... went to be early. Next day, just had a sore arm where we received the shot. Hope it's that way with the second...
                  Yesterday, 03:49 PM
                Working...
                X