Three new limberjacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three new limberjacks

I received a request from a Virginia musician, who plays old time music, to design three limberjacks for his wife to dance.

They will dance to songs about a fox, pig and hen.

Here are the results.

Dave
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Harmony; 05-10-2012, 12:42 PM.

Very nice..
    Excuse my English, I go through a translator
    Jean-Jacques
    http://tour-dec.fr/

Comment

very interesting I can't say I have every heard of a preformance with these.....

Comment

Omigosh, how cute and creative those are! I gather that you made the designs? These are wonderful - wish we could see them in action!

Comment

I was thinking about your limberjacks just the other day & wondering if you were still making them. I like the new editions.
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Pattie,

The limberjacks are my design, but feel free to copy.

Limberjacks are a percussion interment and are danced to keep rhythm and entertain.

Little kids just love to watch them.

I have an extra large dance board I use, that allows a child to dance with my limberjack.

A limberjack is a good draw to your table or booth at a craft show. You will get people talking “Did you see the wooden dancing doll?”.

A very good site, with all you ever wanted to know about limberjacks, and to see the experts dance them is:
            http://chrisbrady.itgo.com/jigdolls/jigdolls.htm

Hope some of the forum members will try making a limberjack, the kids will love them for it.

Dave
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Harmony; 05-11-2012, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Dave -- nice limberjacks. Love those folk-art toys.
              Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Dave, they are wonderful! I'd never heard of them before now, that link you provided looks very interesting, thank you.

Comment

They are so darn cute! But how would you display them at a show to make them dance? I don't think hubby would enjoy playing an instrument and making them dance. First, he can't play any instruments!!! LOL
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Wow that takes me back, we had one when I was a kid..... a cowboy.
                    My dad would put the board on his knee and make him dance while bouncing his leg.
                    Your models are really sweeeeet Harmony.
                    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Would you please explain the joints to me? Any recommendations on sources for pins or finial types of wooden pins?
                      Legs can be done simply with a dowel perhaps from hip to hip but how are the other joints created?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Thirston,

With the exception of the hen, All leg parts are cut on the scroll saw and shaped with a sander. The hen has dowel for lower legs.

The shoulder and limberjacks with external legs use axle pegs. I get them from http://www.craftparts.com/ . I use axle peg AP 1005. This is the same place I get pegs for my tine, AP 0900.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Glad you included pictures because I had no idea what a limber-jack was.
                          Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
                          with a EX-21

Comment

Bob,

Placing the legs on the outside of the limberjack is a French design, you should see a few of these in your part of the country.

I like the look much better than slotting the bottom of the body for leg attachment. You have to make the shoulders wide enough for the arms to clear the hip pegs.

Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X