Roundover Edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roundover Edges

I am new to toy making and run into a problem. I want to roundover the edges of the toys. I have used a router with a 1/8" roundover bit and this works but does not get into the tight spots.

I hand sand where I can but I HATE sanding by hand.

Is there an alternative? Is there a sanding attachment that I can put in my drill press that would work? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

You can use a sanding mop. Klingspore has one.
    4X12 220 GRIT GOLD SAND MOP REFILL 24PK | Klingspor's Woodworking Shop
    You can also use the other type I call it a flap wheel but I can't find my link to it right now. Rolf is a proponent for it perhaps he will see your post or you can send him a private message..

here it is flap sander.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...der-Large.aspx I have one of these as well. I seem to use the mop more often.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Mike is right, both types of mop work great and save a ton of time. I use 180 for the hard wood and 240 for the soft.
      Both types need a break in. I use a chunk of hardwood (maple)
      I personally prefer this type of mop sander.

Also from Klingspore
      http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/mm07204/
      They seem to last longer for me.
      Last edited by Rolf; 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Klingspor makes they best sanding products. Buy that mop and you will never look back.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I am a proponent of Klingspor's sanding mops and a company as whole...great prices, quick delivery and great customer service too! However, if the mops do not give you what you are looking for you can buy 'router bits' for your rotary tool (i.e. dremel). I have used this method on some projects and overall was pleased with the end result. However, just as with a router, it does take some practice.

Good Luck!!!
          ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

I make and sell a LOT of wooden toys and I find a sanding mop of little use. It smooths but it does not shape the wood like you are looking to do when rounding over edges. I use a 1/4" roundover bit and for the tight spots a 1" belt sander works well. I have redesigned my patterns to avoid the need for it though. Here is an example of what I mean.
            Attached Files
            Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
            "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

There are a couple of sizes of bearings on router bits. For toys with tight cnrs I use a 1/4" round over bit with a 1/4" bearing.
              I also use the sanding mops/flap wheels as mentioned by both Rolf and Mike.
              Regards
              John
              "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
              Some of my Stuff
              Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

I have a 1/8" round-over bit and router attachment for my Dremel. Something like that may work.
                Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

when I need to route round overs in tight spots, I use a brass pilot bit. They do not have a a large bearing, Rather they have small brass pilot that allow you to get into tight spots. Here is a link: MLCS brass piloted bits
                  Last edited by dgman; 10-19-2011, 09:05 PM.
                  Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

How about Sleeveless Sanding Drums ??

I use sleeveless sanding drums all the time.for sanding off sharp edges on the wooden toys I design, and make, also on my Intarsia projects. They come in a variety of diameters, from teeny sizes designed to fit on a dremel, up to 3 inch diameter, the larger sizes are designed to hold any standard sandpaper. I use cut my own, "sleeves," from 3 inch sanding belts and fit these on as they last heaps longer than ordinary paper-backed abrasive papers. Any woodwork supplier who sell quality tools, and accessories will, ( or should ), have them available. Here in Australia I bought my set from Carba-Tec in Adelaide. The Sanding drums simply fit into any pedestal drill chuck, then it's simply holding the part to be sanded at the appropriate angle, and run the drum along it a few times, changing the angle as you proceed. Yes, it does take a bit of practice, and is NOT recommended for anyone who has a," short fuse, " or is impatient,- but these type of people are not good woodies anyway
                    Hope this bit of info is of some assistance to someone

Comment

Hi Eugene - as you can see from the replies different scrollers have different needs and have their own preferences.

In my case, for true roundovers, rather than softened edges which mops usually give, I prefer the smallest router bit I can find which will get into the tight corners. This is usually a 1/8" roundover which will fit into my Dremel or larger Foredom rotary tool.
                      I have a very simple home made mini router table which I can clamp the rotary tool into to avoid trying to route by hand or with the totally useless Dremel router accessory (my opinion anyway!). I rout the tight spots first and then usually switch to a 3/16" or 1/4" roundover bit to roundover the rest of my work.

Hope this helps
                      Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jim_mex View Post
                        Hi Eugene - as you can see from the replies different scrollers have different needs and have their own preferences.

In my case, for true roundovers, rather than softened edges which mops usually give, I prefer the smallest router bit I can find which will get into the tight corners. This is usually a 1/8" roundover which will fit into my Dremel or larger Foredom rotary tool.
                        I have a very simple home made mini router table which I can clamp the rotary tool into to avoid trying to route by hand or with the totally useless Dremel router accessory (my opinion anyway!). I rout the tight spots first and then usually switch to a 3/16" or 1/4" roundover bit to roundover the rest of my work.

Hope this helps
                        I would like to see a pic of your simple homemade dremel router table, I have a dremel and would like to use it more for sanding/rounding over parts. Any help well appreciated! Thankyou
                        Dan

My Gallery

Comment

Dremel makes a router table that sells for around $30.00, and well worth the price. I think that I bought mine at Sears. Have it mounted on a piece of wood so that when I want to use it I just place it in my vise and clamp my shopvac hose underneath. It's a great tool & works like a charm.
                          Jack

Comment

I would like to see a pic of your simple homemade dremel router table
                            Hi Smitty - Unfortunately since I'm working overseas at the moment I can't post a photo of mine but its very similar to the DIY table posted in the following link. One thing I particularly like about the design is it can be easily clamped to any flat and stable work surface.

Mini Router Table
                            Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                            - Albert Einstein

Comment

I use my router and a round file with sand paper wrapped over it as well as a orbital fixed sander.
                              What does software and woodworking have in common?

me...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to Home remodeling update - 28 August
                                by jim_mex
                                24 Oct - Home 'make-over completed!!!

Hi again all – time flies when you are busy and Norma and I have certainly been that the past couple of months since we embarked on our home 'total make-over' project but the good news is the work is now complete and we spent the past week moving back
                                Today, 12:39 PM
                              • scrollerpete
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by scrollerpete
                                You did a fantastic job Denny, I’m sure you will have an happy customer...
                                Today, 12:33 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                This is a custom order request. The pattern is by Harvey Byler purchased from WoodCraftByScott.com. I enlarged the pattern by 10%. Cut at home on the EX21 using FD UR #5 blades. The wood is Poplar approximately 7" x 9". Sanded with the Sand Flee and dipped in Shellac diluted 50% with...
                                Today, 10:43 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Quartz. What are you not certain of?
                                I needed to make a couple of custom sized Octagonal replacement windows, I wanted the most precision. I don't remember where I bought it. If I had seen the bi-directional Incra 1000 I probably would have bought it instead. With the 2000 you have to choose...
                                Today, 09:08 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by Rolf
                                Love every bit of it! The lighting really makes it pop. Would you mind sharing the source for the lights that you used?...
                                Today, 08:55 AM
                              Working...
                              X