seascape-go-round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seascape-go-round

I'm at it again folks. My best friend's grandson is going to be 1 at the end of the month. The toddlers room is sea shore themed, so............

Please see my hedgehog-go-round post for construction details. What's scary is that it now takes me only about 2 hours from picture selection and layout to final finish coat. The original one that I made for my granddaughter 7 years ago took about 6 hours to make and doesn't work nearly as well.

As usual, all critical comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated since they make me a better scroller.

george

seascape-go-round.jpg
    A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
    George

delta 650, hawk G426

No criticism, except, more pics would be nice. Great job.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Beautiful!!!! Would you share your pattern and some notes?
      May the wind at you back .....
      Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Very nice to be sure and a great gift for the little one I sure he'll love it. It has give me and idea for my grandkids.
        sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
        To all who serve or have served, Thank you
        Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

Oily, and Dan here you are. I copied this from my earlier post hedgehogs galore merry-go-round where there are pictures of the project to show some details.

george

Here are the dimension of the parts:
          circular 3/4" oak base 6" in diameter with 1/2" hole for center pole
          irregular3/4" oak platform 9" across with 5/8" hole in center, 1/4" holes for animals and 3/32" holes for strings (really masons twine)
          hedgehogs (or any animals are about 4" x4" X 3/4" poplar with 3/8" through hole
          center pole 1/2" dowel about 17" long It is cross slotted at the top for the strings
          hedgehog dowels 1/4" about 5-6" long depending on the animal patterns but all are the
          same length
          small balls 1" diameter with 1/4" hole
          large ball 1 1/2" diameter with 1/2" hole

The string (really masons twine) is threaded through the holes in the platform, knotted below and covered with a dab of hot glue to keep them from unraveling. The other end of the string is run through the slots at the top of the 1/2" dowel and then held in place with hot glue.
          To keep the platform balanced while gluing the twine in the slots, I rest it on a couple of 3/4" thick pieces of scrap.
          The top ball is force fitted so it can be removed if any of the strings need to be replaced. Everything else is glued in place. It is painted with lead free acrylic and finished in two coats of dewaxed shellac followed by 1 or 2 coats of gloss varnish.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

What a lovely gift!
            DeWalt 788

Comment

Bravo, it is beautiufull!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the nice comments folks. They really are easy to make and the little ones (and their parents) enjoy watching them spin. The hardest part is painting them to look reasonably realistic but not overly detailed.

george
                George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

I really like that George. We will soon be having a new Grandson arriving and I just have to find out what the theme of his bedroom will be. Thanks for the great idea.
                  Hawaiilad
                  Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X