preserving in-ground carved tree stumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preserving in-ground carved tree stumps

I recently carved some in-ground tree stumps in my back yard. Is there any way to preserve the stumps, while leaving
    them in the ground? I have already sealed and varnished them
    and put termite stakes around them. I want them to last! Help, anyone?

Re: preserving in-ground carved tree stumps

Hey there Tnsqwatawa (that's quite a mouthful ). It would seem to me that there is no sure-fire method for preserving an in-ground stump over an extended period of time. Even if you take severe precautions they would only affect the visible portions of your work. I would imagine that weathering and decay from within and underneath would be very difficult to overcome.

Of course, I may be completely wrong as I have never attempted to do what you propose and someone in here may have some more helpful insight. The sealing, varnishing and termite protection you have so far seem like excellent ideas. I wonder if they would be deterrents to ants and other wood loving insects though.

This would actually make for a wonderful case studyand maybe some others in here have other precautionary ideas or have stumps of their own to try this stuff on. It would certainly seem helpful if we were to know one way or the other.

Good Luck and welcome to the forums,

CM

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Hans
      Reply to Big week here
      by Chuck Hans
      Congrats on all accounts,
      I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
      Today, 08:51 PM
    • cwmagee
      Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
      by cwmagee
      Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
      Today, 03:36 PM
    • Sandy Oaks
      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
      by Sandy Oaks
      So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
      Today, 02:56 PM
    • NC Scroller
      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
      by NC Scroller
      I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
      Today, 11:24 AM
    • NC Scroller
      Reply to Big week here
      by NC Scroller
      Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
      Today, 11:18 AM
    Working...
    X