Chain carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain carving

[glow=green,2,300]Hi, I am just about into the finishing stage of my wooden chain, and i was wondering what people have used on it when they are done (i.e: stain, paint, ect.) Thanks[/glow]
    Carver Boy

Comment

Re: Chain carving

I've finished the ones with pretty wood,such as Black Walnut,Oak and Cherry with low gloss Formby's tung oil after much sanding.On the ones made from Basswood,Poplar,etc. I have used everything from acrylic paint to leaving some with no finish at all.Usually, if i'm going to paint one I leave some carving marks so it still looks like a handmade chain. It is really up to you and your creativity as to how you finish anything that you carve.I know some people will probably tell you Boiled Linseed Oil, but it don't set to good with my sense of smell.
      Lance Brooks

To GOD be the Glory,Amen.

Comment

Hi Carver Boy,

I just read about where you are from and that you are only 12 years old! That is so wonderful! It is really great to know there is such young talent among us. If you can carve a chain, then you have a pretty good command of a knife. Hope you continue to enjoy your hobby for a long time.

Comment

Comment

'Old Time Whittling' by Keith Randich has instructions for a chain, amongst other things. I have no idea who the publisher is but the authors address is/was:
            Keith Randich
            211 Woodsmoke Lane
            Greece, New York 14612

Aha!!! just checked the Woodcraft catalog and they have it ... item number 10A85 at 8.95.

1-800-225-1153

Comment

Hi FatEddy

Looked up the book On Woodcraft site and my order is on the way. Thanks alot! Earl

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X