Chain carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain carving

[glow=green,2,300]Hi, I am just about into the finishing stage of my wooden chain, and i was wondering what people have used on it when they are done (i.e: stain, paint, ect.) Thanks[/glow]
    Carver Boy

Comment

Re: Chain carving

I've finished the ones with pretty wood,such as Black Walnut,Oak and Cherry with low gloss Formby's tung oil after much sanding.On the ones made from Basswood,Poplar,etc. I have used everything from acrylic paint to leaving some with no finish at all.Usually, if i'm going to paint one I leave some carving marks so it still looks like a handmade chain. It is really up to you and your creativity as to how you finish anything that you carve.I know some people will probably tell you Boiled Linseed Oil, but it don't set to good with my sense of smell.
      Lance Brooks

To GOD be the Glory,Amen.

Comment

Hi Carver Boy,

I just read about where you are from and that you are only 12 years old! That is so wonderful! It is really great to know there is such young talent among us. If you can carve a chain, then you have a pretty good command of a knife. Hope you continue to enjoy your hobby for a long time.

Comment

Comment

'Old Time Whittling' by Keith Randich has instructions for a chain, amongst other things. I have no idea who the publisher is but the authors address is/was:
            Keith Randich
            211 Woodsmoke Lane
            Greece, New York 14612

Aha!!! just checked the Woodcraft catalog and they have it ... item number 10A85 at 8.95.

1-800-225-1153

Comment

Hi FatEddy

Looked up the book On Woodcraft site and my order is on the way. Thanks alot! Earl

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                Reply to Work in Progress. What is with FOX publishing?
                by Quartz43
                Maybe nothing has changed ? But is there anything that can be done to make it easier. The very large projects are difficult to copy over several pages and put together properly. I believe in making improvements and not preserving the status quo.

I enjoy the challenge of cutting a project...
                Yesterday, 08:48 PM
              • keystonecop
                by keystonecop
                This is not a problem with the magazine for my issue.. It is a problem with the book having resized the drawings without giving the actual size.

I do again apologize for my post.. I cannot use the right words to explain it.. so maybe someone should just remove the post....
                Yesterday, 07:29 PM
              • markdavd
                by markdavd
                Reading these replies, I am still trying to figure out what the problem really is. I haven't noticed changes in how they publish recently and I don't think I ever had trouble making copies of of the patterns I want to cut.

How did you copy the patterns 10 years ago? What has changed?...
                Yesterday, 06:43 PM
              • Quartz43
                by Quartz43
                I am very glad to hear this and that Fox will look into the issue. Hopefully, they can do some things to try to make it easier to copy patterns.
                Yesterday, 06:34 PM
              • keystonecop
                by keystonecop
                First I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest. Sorry for that. I will share that Kaylee Schofield reached out to me after my post (not sure if this forum or Facebook. From my past experience with her, she cares. I do believe she will address this issue. I do not think she is the type of person...
                Yesterday, 05:36 PM
              Working...
              X