What should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I use?

I have various shades of green stripped poplar and beautiful maple. What can I use as a finish to keep the color of the poplar and the maple white? I
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

https://intarsia.com/blogs/news/wood-color-changes
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thanks Scott. Don’t know if this would work for my baskets but I do have a few other projects this would be perfect for.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I have always had good luck with Watco lacquer.
        Jim
        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I use water based varathane to finish my white birch. The water based finish does not seem to change the white color of the birch whereas if I use a varathene oil based finish the wood turns what I call a honey color.
          Garry

Comment

Thanks Garry. I will give that a try.
            Betty

Comment

I think the best natural finish for poplar wood is a gel stain or wipe the stain. While poplar wood removes nearly all stains well, including deep stains or stains that need deep soaking, gel stains help some of the wood's unique markings and texture shine through while giving a Sharp, consistent finish that is no different from paint.

Comment

Thanks. I’ll have to give the gel stain a try. I have some beautiful rainbow poplar and multiple shades of green.
                Betty

Comment

I think the best natural finish for poplar wood is a gel stain or wipe the stain. While poplar wood removes nearly all stains well, including deep stains or stains that need deep soaking, gel stains help some of the wood's unique markings and texture shine through while giving a Sharp, consistent finish that is no different from paint.

Comment

I’m going to get a clear gel so the color shows through.
                    Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X