Watco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watco

For those of you that have used Watco danish oil, they have various colors + "natural". I was wondering if the natural goes on clear or whether it leaves an amber tint like BLO does.
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

It is mostly linseed oil, so yes, it does leave a yellow tint.
    Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

I used it for the first time this summer on maple, I really like how it feels and looks. The clear does tint the wood a bit.. I have both the clear and the darker version.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Most of the finish I apply is Watco Natural. Yes it does contain BLO and like any oil is pops the grain. The slight yellow tint is only noticeable on lite color wood like maple, baltic birch, etc. On darker woods like oak, walnut, cherry, etc it does darkener the wood and the slight yellow is not noticeable at all.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have been using natural Watco oil for over 20 years.. It really brings out the color of the wood in cherry ad black walnut.
          In California they only sell Natural 350 VOC Danish Oil and Natural 275 VOC Danish Oil . Both leave a sticky mess for me.
          I continue to use the original Natural Danish Oil.
          The other John A. Nelson
          johnsworkshop.com
          sigpic
          I just follow the lines and make sawdust
          on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Thanx all. I was hoping for something that would seal Baltic birch without coloring it to maintain a contrast with an adjacent piece. With my first try I used BLO to darken the adjacent but it didn’t provide enough contrast so I was thinking Watco with a light tint next to the natural would be my answer. Would really like to keep the untainted BB as white as possible. This is what I’m playing with
            744E9280-6837-4759-8166-94A33659D0A6.jpg
            The outer ring and the inside emblem just have clear shellac on. The lettering ring has a coat of BLO before being over sprayed with the shellac. I was hoping for a little more contrast.
            Bruce
            . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
            visit sometime
            Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Try clear shellac on the BB. It can be diluted with denatured alcohol to a 50/50 strength. The beauty is it will dry in minutes and does raise the grain.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X