This California guy needs help again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom in Ashland View Post
    Shellac is available is several natural colors. See second photo here - https://www.shellacshack.com I have used quite a bit of shellac in the past and would buy the flakes and make up the concentration I needed for a project. I feel I got much better results than with commercial ready to use products.
    What do you use to dissolve the Shellac? Your article did help.. they say to use ethanol or methanol .. Thank YOU. The more I read the more confused.. (That is my normal) says HEET Gas-Line Antifreeze And Water Remover is 99% methanol .. $1.59 for 12 oz..
    The other John A. Nelson
    johnsworkshop.com
    sigpic
    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

I dissolved the flakes in denatured ethanol which is not restricted here in Oregon. I buy it by the gallon at Home Depot.

Comment

I have been reading up on this on various wood working forums. Some of the talk is very nasty as you can imagine. No one had a real answer. One solution was to get or make your own moonshine. Also illegal. Short of moving, it seems like your only real option is to go out of state and run the risk associated with bringing it in. Sorry.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thank you all. I think I will continue my moonshine runs out of state. That is what I have been doing for the past 2 years.. I was really hoping to find a legal solution to doing woodwork without moving..
          The other John A. Nelson
          johnsworkshop.com
          sigpic

Comment

John you could try some water based lacquer. Google search for Target Coatings EM6000. It sprays very nice they say it can be brushed I have not tried it that way though. Not sure if shellac will be as durable as your original lacquered items.
            Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

I use isopropal alcohol 99.9%. Also also will use 190 proof everclear. That is 95% ethanol. I make my shellac from flakes.

https://wellermart.com/products/dewa...ac-flakes-1-lb

1 pound cut is 1 oz of flakes for 8oz alcohol (Iso or Eythl).

I like to use 1/2 poud cut and apply lots of thin layers.

Comment

DNA has a lot of methanol in it and it is bad for the body. (What I have learned about chemistry is that any thing with the name "meth: init should be avoided.

The body tolerates Ethanol primarily because on of the byproducts of rotting fruit is ethanol. It is hard on the liver.

They use isopropal alcohol on baby's butts.

Comment

Also Isopropal alcohol make a shellac take longer to dry. A good thing for hot Climes

Comment

Originally posted by DaveVanEss View Post
                    I use isopropal alcohol 99.9%. Also also will use 190 proof everclear. That is 95% ethanol. I make my shellac from flakes.

https://wellermart.com/products/dewa...ac-flakes-1-lb

1 pound cut is 1 oz of flakes for 8oz alcohol (Iso or Eythl).

I like to use 1/2 poud cut and apply lots of thin layers.
                    Thanks.. I will give the isopropyl alcohol 99.9% a try.. I am able to get most of my other supplies delivered to out of state friends who will deliver them to California.. no one seems to ship denatured alcohol. California is starting be be this island away from reality.
                    The other John A. Nelson
                    johnsworkshop.com
                    sigpic

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by will8989
                      Scott, I was referring to her pms to Bill Wilson and Quartz. They posted her reply by pms instead of on here.
                      Would be nice Quartz. I asked got Bob to put the issue next tp patterns and he said something about real estate. He found a way to do it and didn’t lose any real estate. Guess they don’t...
                      Today, 10:57 AM
                    • Quartz43
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by Quartz43
                      I would be pleased if FC at least did a trial of printing A pattern on regular sized text and also providing a scale up factor. Their resistance to do anything if a real pain. It was a similar lack of action with the website that resulted in lost viewers.
                      Today, 09:46 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by NC Scroller
                      I think Kelly did that because I wrote a letter to the editor complaining about an article in the last addition. It was the article about staying connected online and it didn't mention the FC forum....
                      Today, 06:36 AM
                    • hotshot
                      Reply to Demo display
                      by hotshot
                      The fastest I've ever seen one of those 3d deer cuts was by Rick Hutcheson. That man was super fast when we was working the shows.

Here he is much more recently, and a bit slower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riPDY6M-Lv8

Here is the pattern on Ricks' site: http://www....
                      Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Woodgrain Worked Against Me
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Rodney you and your wife make a great team! Very nicely done sir.
                      Yesterday, 07:08 PM
                    Working...
                    X