This California guy needs help again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom in Ashland View Post
    Shellac is available is several natural colors. See second photo here - https://www.shellacshack.com I have used quite a bit of shellac in the past and would buy the flakes and make up the concentration I needed for a project. I feel I got much better results than with commercial ready to use products.
    What do you use to dissolve the Shellac? Your article did help.. they say to use ethanol or methanol .. Thank YOU. The more I read the more confused.. (That is my normal) says HEET Gas-Line Antifreeze And Water Remover is 99% methanol .. $1.59 for 12 oz..
    The other John A. Nelson
    johnsworkshop.com
    sigpic
    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

I dissolved the flakes in denatured ethanol which is not restricted here in Oregon. I buy it by the gallon at Home Depot.

Comment

I have been reading up on this on various wood working forums. Some of the talk is very nasty as you can imagine. No one had a real answer. One solution was to get or make your own moonshine. Also illegal. Short of moving, it seems like your only real option is to go out of state and run the risk associated with bringing it in. Sorry.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thank you all. I think I will continue my moonshine runs out of state. That is what I have been doing for the past 2 years.. I was really hoping to find a legal solution to doing woodwork without moving..
          The other John A. Nelson
          johnsworkshop.com
          sigpic
          I just follow the lines and make sawdust
          on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

John you could try some water based lacquer. Google search for Target Coatings EM6000. It sprays very nice they say it can be brushed I have not tried it that way though. Not sure if shellac will be as durable as your original lacquered items.
            Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• millwab
              Reply to elementary questions
              by millwab
              Dan, your questions are a little tough to answer without knowing a little more about this puzzle you're cutting. That said, here are my thoughts:
              • First of all, it would be helpful to know the overall size of this puzzle and how many pieces you're thinking of cutting it into. 1/2" BB is pretty
              Today, 07:09 PM
            • dwssr2
              elementary questions
              by dwssr2
              So I am making a puzzel for a co worker, not real intricagte, I am using 1/2 baltic birch, I almost always use fdur blades. My questions are what size blade sholuld I use, considering finish, and what size entry hole should I drill?
              Next question is how to finish? When painting puzzles, different...
              Today, 11:49 AM
            • Sandy Oaks
              Reply to ArtCrafters - Pegas Scroll Saw Blades
              by Sandy Oaks
              Thanks Linda. I got the email and sent you a reply. I hope I answered the questions....
              Today, 11:33 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to ArtCrafters - Pegas Scroll Saw Blades
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Hey Denny---I shot you an email with a few questions. I might just have to dip my toe into the world of Pegas blades vs FD. At least to try! Open minded explorations. Thank you ! Linda
              Today, 10:29 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Having a Betty week
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Be careful---soon she will be able to outrun you! Remember when fridges lasted for decades?! Glad she's doing well.
              Today, 10:12 AM
            Working...
            X