This California guy needs help again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This California guy needs help again.

I have used oil based Watco Natural Oil followed by semi gloss lacquer spray for 20 years.. The last few years buying out of state.. So in looking for a replacement I was going to do the 50/50 mix of Zinsser clear shellac and Denatured Alcohol.. No big surprise. Denatured Alcohol.is banned.. So other than moving out of state what are my options. I really wanted to try this before May. After that I can go to Nevada and buy my supplies again.
    The other John A. Nelson
    johnsworkshop.com
    sigpic
    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

I did a quick check and if DNA is not available the only other option is 99% Isopropyl alcohol. It is available through Amazon. Regular Isopropyl alcohol like you find in drug and grocery stores have to much water to use it.

Sorry John
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

It’s pricey, but grain alcohol—the kind you can drink—should work, I’ve used it with shellac flakes to make confectioner’s glaze for cake decorations. Around here, it’s legal in CT but not NY.
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Cheap Vodka should work - but no idea that would cost considering the federal alcohol tax. Considering there are so many legitimate uses for it and I don't know what in it would be cancer causing so why is it on their restricted list.

I see you are in Sacramento - Take interstate 5 to Oregon and there is a Home Depot about 15 miles north of the boarder - it is not on restricted list here and you could get a couple gallon cans.
        Last edited by Tom in Ashland; 04-05-2021, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I live Southern California. What I’ve used for over twenty years is a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. The boiled linseed oil brings out the natural color and grain of the wood and the mineral spirits thins the oil and allows the oil to dry in 24-36 hours depending on humidity. Then a topcoat of semi gloss lacquer. There were a few months that I couldn’t find mineral spirits, but I can find anywhere now.
          Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Isn’t there a hefty fine if you being something into California that’s on their restricted list? As for the vodka, goes better in drinks.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by dgman View Post
              I live Southern California. What I’ve used for over twenty years is a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. The boiled linseed oil brings out the natural color and grain of the wood and the mineral spirits thins the oil and allows the oil to dry in 24-36 hours depending on humidity. Then a topcoat of semi gloss lacquer. There were a few months that I couldn’t find mineral spirits, but I can find anywhere now.
              I have found the new California versions of Watco, Mineral Spirits, and Lacquer spray are very (sticky, gummy, etc)... That Is why I wanted to try shellac..
              The other John A. Nelson
              johnsworkshop.com
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
                I did a quick check and if DNA is not available the only other option is 99% Isopropyl alcohol. It is available through Amazon. Regular Isopropyl alcohol like you find in drug and grocery stores have to much water to use it.

Sorry John
                sorry to keep asking.. This sounds like my best choice.. has any one used it? and how do you store the mix?
                The other John A. Nelson
                johnsworkshop.com
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by keystonecop View Post

sorry to keep asking.. This sounds like my best choice.. has any one used it? and how do you store the mix?
                  I have not but from what I read it seems like you would use it just like DNA. When I have used shellac mixed with DNA I mixed it 50/50. If you want more gloss then use less alcohol.

Scott
                  Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Not sure, but in my chemistry days, isopropyl is not the same as ethyl alcohol. Not sure how it would work.
                    Denny
                    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I had a can of the new mineral spirits when the stores around here stopped selling the good stuff. It was totally worthless. When Home Depot brought back the original, Bruce took the other to the dump for disposal. Lowe’s still doesn’t sell the original.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

How are you applying the shellac? I generally spray and even brush it full strength, from the can. I used to thin it, but found it took a lot more applications to get the look & feel I wanted. Shellac should be applied in many thin coats, but I'm still able to accomplish that using it full strength, especially if I'm spraying. Brushing is a little tougher, as it dries so quickly, but with spraying, you can modify the gun settings and the speed of application to control the amount applied.
                        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I wanted to use the 50/50 mix in place of watco and lacquer spray because the water based versions are awful. I planed to dip in the 50/50 mix, then sand then dip again. But It seems that option is also not available in California.. It seems like I might as well wait and get all my supplies in Nevada. Maybe I will just add the finish in the Home Depot parking lot then bring the items back to California to keep it legal.. I would much prefer to use the methods that others have used and not experiment. A side note.. I did not ask on Facebook as I trust this groups answers.
                          The other John A. Nelson
                          johnsworkshop.com
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by keystonecop View Post

I have found the new California versions of Watco, Mineral Spirits, and Lacquer spray are very (sticky, gummy, etc)... That Is why I wanted to try shellac..
                            I haven’t used Watco Danish oil in years so I can’t speak to it, but the mineral spirits and spray lacquer is the same I have used for years. There is a “green” version of mineral available that is milky that I don’t use, but I can still get regular M/S. I can’t find Deft spray lacquer anymore but I can still get Minwax spray lacquer and if works just fine.
                            Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Shellac is available is several natural colors. See second photo here - https://www.shellacshack.com I have used quite a bit of shellac in the past and would buy the flakes and make up the concentration I needed for a project. I feel I got much better results than with commercial ready to use products.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Bruce at the sawmill
                                by will8989
                                It’s part of open space donated by the Kinder family, 600 acres that need to be kept open space. They just put in a $1M playground for the kids right before COVID hit. It’s a working farm run by 4h groups. Kinder Farm Park, Anne Arundel co,MD. Those logs were cut for a project by the boy scouts..
                                Yesterday, 07:01 PM
                              • keystonecop
                                Reply to elementary questions
                                by keystonecop
                                I cut over 100 3/4" hardwood puzzles evey year.. I use #5 Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse or Pegas Modified Geometry blades. They are easier for young children and older adults. If you going to paint.. that will effect the parts as well.. I only tried that a few times. the pieces stuck together for...
                                Yesterday, 12:48 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Dream Catchers Cardinal and Hummingbird
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                I finally finished two Dream Catchers, one with a Cardinal and the other Hummingbird. The dream catchers made from Ash and the feathers Walnut and Maple. The Hummingbird is Cherry and the Cardinal from various hardwoods. The finish is a coat of spray Shellac as a sealer and two coats MinWax spray Lacquer...
                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 2 photos.
                                Yesterday, 12:42 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Parrot
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                A pattern by Sue Mey. Finished two different ways. One is framed with a Birdseye Frame and the other backed with 3/8" Baltic Birch plywood stained black. Stack cut 1/8" BB plywood on a Pegas Scroll Saw using Pegas #1R MGT blades. In fact, I used only one blade on the project.
                                Yesterday, 11:37 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Cat Angel
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                A pattern by Sue Mey. Finished two different ways. One is framed with a Birdseye Frame and the other backed with 3/8" Baltic Birch plywood stained black. Stack cut 1/8" BB plywood on a Pegas Scroll Saw using Pegas #1R MGT and #1 Spiral blades. The letters with the MGT blade and the rest with...
                                Yesterday, 11:36 AM
                              Working...
                              X