Darkening oak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkening oak

Sometime back, there was some discussion about darkening oak. I have used the search and found something about fuming with ammonia, but I think there was another method using vinegar.
    I have a suspicion it may have been lost in the software change.
    Any guidance appreciated.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Is this too dark?
    Ebonizing Wood - FineWoodworking
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Might be. I am going to be making a sign using oak plywood and I think I may want the background a tone other than the oak. May explore other veneers as well.
      Jim
      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Hi Jim - a long while back I did a series of ebonizing tests using the steel wool and vinegar method on a variety of woods. On white oak the color turns out to be a light grey. On red oak its a much darker grey black. To get the best out of ebonizing i.e. the blackest coloration the wood needs t o be high in natural tanin. Woods for example like mahogany give a rich black coloration.

Its a simple enough procedure to try and experiment with to see what sort of a result you get. Alternatively you could always use a stain.
        Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

I've had very good luck using the oven. The wood does soften, but with oak, that usually isn't a problem. It also darkens all the way through.

Here is a flash from the past where I show some puzzle boxes made with oven darkened oak.

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/...2-puzzle-boxes

Here is another link to an article on this from fine woodworking:
          https://www.finewoodworking.com/2010...he-way-through
          Last edited by hotshot; 03-09-2021, 05:35 PM.
          "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
            Reply to Wood identification needed
            by Rolf
            This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge....
            Today, 07:38 AM
          • handibunny
            Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
            by handibunny
            I couldn't resist (too long since any new toys) and ordered a blacklight flashlight from Amazon--same price as Harbor Freight. Should be here Tuesday--can't wait to see all the glue spots I've missed.
            Today, 07:01 AM
          • handibunny
            by handibunny
            If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
            Today, 06:59 AM
          • dgman
            by dgman
            The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
            Yesterday, 10:40 PM
          • vgraf
            Wood identification needed
            by vgraf
            I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is...
            Yesterday, 09:31 PM
          Working...
          X