Help help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help help

What can I use to thin mineral oil since they replaced the mineral spirits with milk mineral spirits? It does not work. Like dipping the wood in thick milk with mineral spirits. I have only used clear mineral spirits to thin the mineral oil to dip my work, which worked fine. Bruce just dipped 70 cardholders and they look crappy and something I won’t put out. Alcohol to use as a thinner? Help!!! And yes he should have done 2 or 3 to see if it worked. And yes I know he has a bum arm, but.....🤨🤨

He maybe redeeming himself. Home Depot has the original and is going to get me 2 cans..
    Last edited by will8989; 10-06-2020, 01:13 PM.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

I think regular mineral spirits are still available, in most places, with the possible exception of California. Gotta watch the labels. The stuff you are talking about is probably labeled as "Green". Avoid that stuff at all costs.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Bruce did find some. I had him get 2 cans. Since we are close to the Chesapeake bay some stuff is hard to find.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Totally agree. The newer greener stuff just doesn't do it for me either.
        I have been able to find the old fashioned good mineral spirits at Home Depot (not Lowe's), and even Walmart. Here's the link for Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Str...allon/17208810

Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I think he got it at Home Depot. There are so many tributaries and streams in this that flow into the Chesapeake Bay, some stuff is just hard to find. He’s taking the junk mineral spirits to the dump tomorrow to dispose of. He spent an hour cleaning up the cardholders. They looked and felt like they were dipped in water with oil floating in top. He got 2 cans so I’m good.
          Betty

Comment

Betty, I see we are up late again, RJ
            Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

From what I had heard on other forums only California has banned the good stuff. I hear they make "Smoky the Bandit" type runs from Southern CA to Nevada.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Regular hours for me RJ. I enjoy the quiet. I definitely won’t be posting 6am like Carole does.
                Last edited by will8989; 10-10-2020, 12:16 AM.
                Betty

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
                  From what I had heard on other forums only California has banned the good stuff. I hear they make "Smoky the Bandit" type runs from Southern CA to Nevada.
                  I’m in Southern California and I can find real mineral spirits anywhere now. There was about a six month period that it wasn’t available. I bought three gallons when I saw the stock running low. When I used them up, I started noticing it was available again. I have an friend in Orange County who says he can’t get it there though. If you can’t find it where you live, try Amazon. I had looked there just in case I couldn’t get it here. There are no restrictions to any state.
                  Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Who would have ever thought 2020 would've been about shortages of toilet paper and mineral spirits. Now that's a clean swipe!
                    Bad. just bad.
                    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Originally posted by dgman View Post

I’m in Southern California and I can find real mineral spirits anywhere now. There was about a six month period that it wasn’t available. I bought three gallons when I saw the stock running low. When I used them up, I started noticing it was available again. I have an friend in Orange County who says he can’t get it there though. If you can’t find it where you live, try Amazon. I had looked there just in case I couldn’t get it here. There are no restrictions to any state.
                      Glad to hear that. I know I read some very angry posts a while back. Not on this forum.
                      Scott

Comment

That’s funny Linda! 😂😂😂😂
                        Betty

Comment

Would heat thin mineral oil?
                          Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                          "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I never thought of that. Bruce did get me mineral spirits so I’ll be okay for a while.
                            Betty

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Finn View Post
                              Would heat thin mineral oil?
                              Jim I have not tried it but I have read you can thin it 60/40 with mineral spirits.
                              Scott

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X