What’s worse than not enough wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s worse than not enough wood?

Too much wood! Bruce has been working his butt off getting the wood processed so that I’ll have enough to carry me through the end of the year. The pictures are what he processed this week. On the table is all cherry, the stock standing up is all poplar as you can see it has a lot of color. And what is on the tablesaw needs extra work. This isn’t counting what he’s already done and is under my workbench. The cherry is some from the tree we took down in our back yard. the poplar is his payment for working at the sawmill. The only thing I need to buy is some walnut. I am all set to lay a pattern on piece of wood and I think I have another piece over that’s better. Too much wood. But I’m not complaining.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by will8989; 08-24-2020, 11:54 AM.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

What kind of wood is the one with the red init??

Comment

That wood with the red streaking is Box Elder it's in the Maple family.

Comment

It’s one of my favorite woods for the sea life puzzle. I think that’s why I sell so many. Bruce figured out last week and yesterday we processed approximately 35 board feet of cherry wood!! I ended up with 32 boards, 2 ft long, 1” thick, average width of 7”. Some from the tree we took down and the rest from the sawmill. Today he worked on the poplar. He emptied the planer bag 4 times. Heaven knows what he’ll bring back from the sawmill this week! All the wood needs to be prepped in 2 weeks. He sliced some wood for me to cut the nativity pattern from Steve Goode site yesterday. I saw that and knew it was the one for my people who collect them. I got one almost finished today.
        Attached Files
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Too much wood is never a problem when you have woodworking friends. Who's puzzle pattern is that?
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Too much wood is a problem sometimes because I forget what's in the back of a stack. But always nice to have. Go Bruce!
            Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
              It’s one of my favorite woods for the sea life puzzle. I think that’s why I sell so many. Bruce figured out last week and yesterday we processed approximately 35 board feet of cherry wood!! I ended up with 32 boards, 2 ft long, 1” thick, average width of 7”. Some from the tree we took down and the rest from the sawmill. Today he worked on the poplar. He emptied the planer bag 4 times. Heaven knows what he’ll bring back from the sawmill this week! All the wood needs to be prepped in 2 weeks. He sliced some wood for me to cut the nativity pattern from Steve Goode site yesterday. I saw that and knew it was the one for my people who collect them. I got one almost finished today.
              Funny you mention Steve's nativity (I assume the round 6 layer box), I am delivering one tomorrow to a family friend. This makes 9 I have done.
              Jim
              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I have lots of wood but never the right size.

Here is a quick shot of one of my stashes. (mainly for Intarsia projects) Lots of 3/4 and thin stuff. I have another stash of BB as I just bought 3 sheets. I have a lumber rack full in the garage with a bunch of 4/4 pine for a special fall project.

BUT, right now I need 1 1/2" hardwood for a mini birdhouses. I rummaged around and got 3 small pieces but I plan on making 100 as a donation to a craft sale at the local cancer support center. I have 50 done and 50 to go.

I told my wife that I need to order some wood her comment was "WHAT". LOL

ws.jpg
                Attached Files
                Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Jim, it’s the pattern he just published this past week. I have customers that collect nativity sets for their tables, mantles, etc. I know they’ll love this one.
                  Scott,, it is from a SSW issue but I don’t remember when. It is called Sealife and you can find it in the index. I seem to have a problem getting to the index I would have given you the issue. It takes about an hour to cut as each piece has fine detail. I cut 4 or 5 using different woods then mix the woods up. People go nuts over them. There are some delicate pieces so I tell the people if a piece breaks let me know and I’ll replace it. I’ve had to replace one in all the years I’ve been making them. I think the designers first name is Gloria, but I could be wrong.
                  isnt that truth Don? Never the right size!! I need to go to Groff and Groff this week for Walnut, Purple Heart and yellow heart.
                  Most times it’s hide and seek Linda but I always find it!
                  Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                    Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                    by Quartz43
                    I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
                    Today, 09:09 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to countdown for Bruce.
                    by will8989
                    Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
                    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                    by will8989
                    I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
                    Yesterday, 10:02 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Back in the saddle again
                    by will8989
                    I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
                    Yesterday, 09:59 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Starting again
                    by will8989
                    And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
                    Yesterday, 09:55 PM
                  Working...
                  X