Cleaning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Question

Does anyone have any ideas about how to clean a carving that has been exposed to excessive cigarette smoke and now smells like cigarettes? It's painted with acrylics and has an acrylic varnish on it.

Stumped.

Teri

Comment

Re: Cleaning Question

Wow I feel like a youngster! Im 32, father of a 3 year old boy, 1 year old girl, and been married for years on thursday. I have a Greyhound , two turtles and some evil little fish. I am in the military, and go to art school half time. I know what you all must be wondering--'what does he do with all that free time?'
      I Cut It Six Times And It's Still Too Short!!!

Comment

Sorry, posted to the wrong message above. But as long as I here, when we bought our house, the walls were covered in nicotine, we used a cleaner called 'Mean Green' found at Wal Mart. It didn't damage the paint at all.
        I Cut It Six Times And It's Still Too Short!!!

Comment

I think Lorax has it right; that green stuff (it's called Simple Green around here) works great, has no hazardous additives and is biodegradable. Seems to clean most everything and has a deodorizing quality, too.

Try it on a small area to make sure it won't damage the finish, but the stuff is really pretty mild. Or ya might try a little Ivory soap on a damp washcloth to get the grime off.
          The only thing I've found to really get rid of the cigarette smell (we have smoking relatives) is LOTS of fresh air after the smoke film is removed.

Al

Comment

You could try making a mild baking soda solutiion and giving it a gentle bath in that. Have never tried it, but baking soda seems to kill most smells.

Comment

Tried the Simple Green, and then a splash of Febreeze!! Smells lovely right now....let's see in a few days ???

Comment

Now that you have the surface layer cleaned, give the carving a good airing outdoors for several hours. If the odors return in a couple weeks or less, then the smoke has permeated the paint.
                If so, then break up some charcoal(from the grill) and put the carving and charcoal pieces in a plastic bag for a week or more. The charcoal absorbs all the odors permanently.

Comment

Bless you, Jack...and everyone.....my life is saved 8)

Teri

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X