Need a little help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help

Probably should just ask Denny as I see he makes lots of the compound birds houses, and I might just have a guess myself. I use a 35 Sand-O-Flex to sand the birdhouses before I glue in the stem and the bird. I gave the house and Birds a bath in watco.. felt smoothe after the bath. Then I sprayed the house and bird with Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover Semi-Gloss Clear Spray Paint and it raised the grain.. (Have done this with Deft lacquer spray without near as much grain lift).. I have always glued thing up before I add a finish.... GRRRRR ..(if I had not added the birds I could have re sanded with the Sand-O-Flex, but afraid I will now break the birds.. .. So, NOW WHAT? I have used the paint on the smiley people and resanded between coats.. (old picture)
    IMG_0923z.JPG worked fine.. New things for a non woodworker.. I just follow the lines and make saw dust. woodworkers-merit-350-sand-flex_1_9b75f3333f10aef23e51e0aa31dd1888.jpg
    The other John A. Nelson
    johnsworkshop.com
    sigpic
    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Apparently, the top coat you used is water based which is why it raised the grain. Try this, take a sheet of grocery store brown paper bag about the size of 1/4 sheet of sandpaper. Fold it into fourths. Use this like sandpaper. First sand the backs then the sides. If it works, carefully sand the front and behind the bird. I use the brown paper all the time when I use Deft spray lacquer. It cleans up the dust nibs very nicely. I don’t know if this trick will work with your topcoat, but it’s worth a try. Good luck!
    Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

John:
      On the few dozen of those I have made, the sanding I did was very minimal, usually an Emery board for a bit of touch up. I always have used Watco Lacquer on mine.
      If the perches are long enough, you could cut them flush and re-drill the holes after touching up the grain.
      Jim
      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I'd try the paper bag approach. Let us know if it works if you try it. I used 2# shellac but I'm just a dabler and had it available. BTW your bird houses look great in your pic. What woods did you use for both the houses and the birds? Thanks Steve

Comment

I can't help fix the problem but when I make these bird houses I apply finish before assembly. I just avoid getting finish on the areas where the glue will go.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by dgman View Post
            Apparently, the top coat you used is water based which is why it raised the grain. Try this, take a sheet of grocery store brown paper bag about the size of 1/4 sheet of sandpaper. Fold it into fourths. Use this like sandpaper. First sand the backs then the sides. If it works, carefully sand the front and behind the bird. I use the brown paper all the time when I use Deft spray lacquer. It cleans up the dust nibs very nicely. I don’t know if this trick will work with your topcoat, but it’s worth a try. Good luck!
            Yes California laws.. I have always used Deft spray lacquer spray before. 0113 (I buy it in Nevada) oil based.. Never thought about water based raising the grain... I will use the paper bags.. That is what I use to sand all my puzzles and trivets which only get an watco oil bath.. Thanks to all you replied..
            The other John A. Nelson
            johnsworkshop.com
            sigpic

Comment

After assembly and the final coat, I lightly sand with a Mac Mop, careful around the little birds.
              Denny
              ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Been on the phone with rustoleum.. all of there clear coat products are acrylic based (He would not use the word water), he did say they are NOT OIL based as oil based would yellow. I am going back to using deft semi gloss lacquer spray (01113( oil based) from Nevada.
                The other John A. Nelson
                johnsworkshop.com
                sigpic

Comment

I’ve been doing something different with the birdhouses and angels. I use mostly cedar now and I just sand them on the flap sander, touch up with brown bag and that’s it. Customers like the lighter color and aroma of the cedar. Go figure. Less work for me.
                  Last edited by will8989; 05-13-2020, 08:02 AM.
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

So very many people smell the wood that leaving them unfinished is kind of a good idea. What cracks me up is when someone picks up a finished intarsia piece (I display at the fair while demonstrating)....they stroke the wood appreciatively.... then they smell it and most will comment how that smell of fresh wood brings back fond memories of dad/uncle/etc.... I just smile and agree .....not telling them that what they are smelling is wood with several coats of polyurethane with dust from the air and the scents from people's hands who've been doing the same thing. Popcorn, peanuts, and all kinds of fair food I'm sure. 😆
                    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

That’s funny Linda. As my daughter would say, just nod your head and smile. I stopped dipping a while back when I was running out of time. Cedar are the first to sell.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X