• Show
Clear All

• sanding sealer or shellac

which works better shellac or sanding sealer what are your preference

For a final finish shellac.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Shellac is great stuff, in my humble opinion. I use a fair amount of it. I have no experience with sanding sealer. I know what it is and what it's for, but never really felt I needed to use it for anything.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I mix the Zinser sanding sealer 50 % with alcohol and dip my ornaments. A fast and easy finish.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have used Shellac or Lacquer and then sand it to 180 grit before applying other finishes. Lately I have been using Lacquer as a final finish also.
          Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
          "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I do the same as Rolf. I mix Shellac 50% with alcohol and use that as a sanding sealer.
            Denny
            ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

The real nice thing about using shellac and alcohol mix for ornaments is you only have to wait minutes before you tie in your ribbons and packaging.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I use sanding sealer on baltic birch plywood, pine and birch if I am going to stain them. Without the sanding sealer, the stain will be blotchy. I use the water base sealer from minwax. After it drys I sand to at least 150 grit and often to 220 grit. Wipe it with a tac cloth then apply the masking tape and pattern, When you are done, very little sanding is needed.

I have never tried sanding sealer as a finish coat.

For finishing ornaments, I use Rolf's mix of 1/2 alcohol and 1/2 shellac. Nice finish and quick!

For other finishes I like spray deft.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                  Reply to A discussion about wood thickness.
                  by NC Scroller
                  As Jim said it is project specific. Normally I prefer thicker before I like the extra depth. Thicker is less prone to breakage. The only real advantage to thinner is allows for stack cutting.

Now from perspective of using what an author says in an article I normally use what I have...
                  Today, 05:02 PM
                • Jim McDonald
                  Reply to Latest Project
                  by Jim McDonald
                  Really neat piece. Hope you signed and dated it.
                  I have a table my grandfather made as a school woodshop project--according to family lore--and I wish there was something from him on the table.
                  Today, 04:59 PM
                • Jim McDonald
                  Reply to Nova drill press
                  by Jim McDonald
                  Sort of like telling us you're getting something and making US wait!
                  Wish I was closer to give you a hand.
                  Today, 04:56 PM
                • Jim McDonald
                  Reply to Medical heads up about a loop implant.
                  by Jim McDonald
                  Really glad to hear you got your "jumper cables" installed. Your cardiologist sounds like a great physician.
                  Do what he says for a while. That storm mess will still be there.
                  Today, 04:54 PM
                • Jim McDonald
                  Reply to A discussion about wood thickness.
                  by Jim McDonald
                  It would depend on the project. I have laminated at times to add thickness and I have scaled patterns to fig a piece of stock, but going from a prescribed thick stock to thinner (on hand wood) has never slowed me down.
                  Sometimes i have a piece of wood that works perfectly around knots or live...
                  Today, 04:49 PM
                Working...
                X