Unicorn Spit Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unicorn Spit Experiment

Decided to run a little test on dilution of Unicorn Spit dye for myself. This is BB ply, sanded to 320. I used a baby medicine syringe to measure 1 ml of dye into a cup for the test. (100%) Then I added 1 ml of water to get to 50%, and another 1 ml to cut to 25%. To mark the areas, I used a #2 pencil to lightly mark the percentage of the dilution.
    When looking at the image, 100 is at 6 o'clock, 50 is at 9 and 25 is at 12. A blank is included for reference.
    Still trying to decide what I am going to use on some initial ornaments I have cut--but awaiting color.
    ​​​​​​​Photo shot in deep shade so the would be no glare.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

The 50% and 25% dilutions look exactly alike to me. Is that stuff a paint or stain?
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Supposed to be a stain. I noticed the same thing. Trying to see how thin to get the grain to show. Might have to go down a few more notches.
      It will stain the hands if you're not careful. Took my gloves off for a second and got the "yellow hand".
      Jim

Comment

When you dilute the 50% mixture with 1 ml, you will have a 33% mixture (1 part stain and 2 parts water). Would have to add one more ml to have a 1 part stain, 3 parts water (25%).
        Interesting result. I have sensed in the past that dilution doesn't seem to be linear to my eyes.
        "Time to Give Back"

Comment

I knew my math was shaky. Sad considering that 35 years ago, pharmaceutical math was my strength as a paramedic. Time and lack of use dulls all.
          Jim

Comment

The article went as low as 10% and really showed the grain. It also said it washes of easily. How about your "yellow hand"?
            Denny
            ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

It did disappear after a bit, but you better believe I will NOT take my gloves off while that stuff is open and in play.
              Jim

Comment

Here is my experiment with diluting the stain. Put some stain in a cup, added some water. The first one is with some drops of water. The green and Orange are full strength mixing colors. The second one is a few more drops added to the red. The dark color is 2 colors mixed. I do like the grain showing through. Not very scientific, but I like the result! And in the end, that’s all that matters.
                Attached Files
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                  Here is my experiment with diluting the stain. Put some stain in a cup, added some water. The first one is with some drops of water. The green and Orange are full strength mixing colors. The second one is a few more drops added to the red. The dark color is 2 colors mixed. I do like the grain showing through. Not very scientific, but I like the result! And in the end, that’s all that matters.
                  Frame it and you have some art for your new kitchen!
                  Jim

Comment

Try it by applying a very very light mist of plain water to the wood just prior to applying the color. You'll probably find more of the wood grain will show through much better. It works for acrylics and a few of the dyes I've experimented with.
                    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I have a collection of gloves when I use any dyes. That way I do not cross contaminate between colors. Especially important with the alcohol dyes.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks Linda. Didn’t think of that. I was going to raise the grain, sand then dye but will try your way first. This dye did raise the grain in my experiment.
                        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X