Boiled linseed oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiled linseed oil

Bruce wants to use this on pepper grinders. He has never used so any all suggestions are welcome. I say if it isn’t broke don’t fix it.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

I have used a mix of 50/50 BLO and mineral spirits. Looked great when it finally dried. (But it was a steamy July when I tried it. )
    I think shellac might work as well.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I have used BLO on occasion but personally prefer "real" Tung Oil, or my own tung oil mixes. I had never used Shellac until recently, and have come to love blond shellac (de-waxed) as a quick sealer. Then T O or other finish on top.

Often times, it depends on the wood, specifically the color and grain. Some oils will change the color of the wood in a way that I don't like, such as slightly amber colored oil will do great on oak but turn bloodwood a hint of orangish when compared directly to unfinished bloodwood, or bloodwood finished with water based clear polys, etc.

I have had amber BLO and I have some clear BLO. There is a difference as to the finished color.
      Hank Lee
      Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

I used some BLO on something years ago and didn't like it - can-t remember why. I turned to pure Tung Oil and never went back. Since then I have use Tung or a Tung mixture and the wipe on poly's.

For my peppermills I use the Old Masters wipe on satin. Wipe it on - let it set a few minutes and wipe it dry. Then I buff them with a beale buff with just a touch of carnuba on it. I've found it holds up really well in the wilds of most kitchens.
        Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

He was going to use the ting oil but it was so old I told him not to. He usually uses Friction wax and finishes with museum wax (?) or he uses a beeswax with something he adds to it followed by wax and Beale system. Or he uses blond shellac followed by waxing. Wasn’t I helpful? Like I said, I if it isn’t broke don’t fix it.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I would not use BLO as a final finish on the pepper mills. He can apply it to the mills to "pop" the grain but it needs to be covered with some form of final finish. IMHO BLO has an odor and it lasts for days.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

He uses some museum wax as his final finish and buffs using the Beale system.
              Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X