olive wood and polyurethane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• olive wood and polyurethane

Dose any one have experience applying polyurethane to olive wood? In my experience I have not had the best results. The finish is hard to discribe, a little rough at spots is the best I can say and maybe not drying as fast as other woods. Actually I am not sure if it ever does dry completly. The wood I am using is reject cutting boards, but I am thinking there should not be any finish on the wood, because I re-sawed and heavy sanded. thanks for any replies, dan

I have never worked with olive wood. But I am concerned about the use of old cutting boards. I soak all of mine with mineral oil and it penetrates deep into the wood. I do know that people have wiped down other naturally oily woods with acetone prior to applying a finish. Do you have any scraps left to try that on?
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have used olive wood for turning pens. LOVE the smell of the wood. On pens I finish with BLO and CA glue. It is an oily wood. You might need to apply shellac before the poly.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Like Scott, I've only had Olive wood for pens. They claim it's an oily wood, but I didn't see on the blanks that I had. Just to be safe I wiped it with some acetone, which didn't seem to make a difference. Then I coated it with 5 coats of medium thick CA. They came out great.

If your wood appears oily, you might want to try the acetone trick. I've seen Olive shine without much finish on it, so I'd bet that poly will work just fine.
        Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Have they been previously used or just unable to be used or sold? What are you going to use it for? I’m with Rolf. I just soak my cutting boards in mineral oil. Why do you want to finish it? Good luck.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

The suggestion of soaking the wood in mineral spirits sounds lie a good idea, maybe I'll try that next time. It seems as though after a number of coats of polyurethane and sanding in between coats, produces an OK finish. Nativity.jpeg

Comment

I used minwax spray semi gloss. The star is yellow hart and the dark wood is local black walnut. dan

Comment

Sorry i did not post this all in one reply, There is a rare earth magnet on the back to stick on refrigerator or it will stand alone. about 5" x 5".
                dan

Comment

That is beautiful. Where did you get the pattern?
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I get a lot of my patterns/ideas from google images. I change the shape on microsoft word and change the size when I print. Just about every thing I make is modified to my liking. dan

Comment

Very nice project.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Turned out Very NICE! As Scott mentioned earlier, with problematic finishes, my standard go-to is de-waxed clear shellac for an initial coating, then poly.
                        Hank Lee
                        Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

You have way more talent and patience than I have changing patterns. The wood selection makes it. If you ever decide to sell the pattern let me know. That could be my nativity collectible for next year.
                          Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X