pine wood, shellac, latex paint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pine wood, shellac, latex paint

for my next project, I am making picture frames of spf, spruce, pine, fir, that is what the sell at lumber yards like lowes.
    I purchased some zinssers shellac to use as a primer sealer.
    and finish with old village flat latex paint.
    Is there any problems with the finish? Should it work good? thanks for any replies dan

That will stand up for indoor use quite fine. The shellac will seal the end grains so that they will not act like a sponge when you paint.

DW
    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
    John Wayne

Comment

What is spf?
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Some lumber yards sold lumber marked spf which is spruce, pine, fir dont know if it is still that way.

Comment

I don't know anything about the paint, but using shellac as a sealer on pine is a good idea. It will help keep the pitch from bleeding through the paint.
          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

My adhesion test with good duct tape show no problems. I really expect no problems with time. Of course I can not know how time temperature and humidity will effect. I dont think I will finish this way again. I should have just used the zinsser sealer primer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
              What is spf?
              It means the wood could be spruce or pine or fir. They just mill whatever comes in and they don't sort by species.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Picture frames are done and hanging on the wall. I will ask wife to post picture. Hopefuly there will be no problems.
                I could start a new topic but I will try changing this one a little.
                When painting wood projects such as puzzles or children's toys, what type and brand of paint do you like? I am not happy with anything I have used so far. Friday I went to a very large craft show and some of the vendors that did wood working had very nice painted pieces for sale, including scroll saw work. thanks

Comment

Did you ask them what they used?
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

most of the time they say acrylic

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse