Purple Heart.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Heart.

bruce had some Purple Heart for about 2 years on the lower shelf of his work bench fully exposed to light. He cut some off for me about 3 weeks ago. I put it on my table.placed some wood on top and when I retrieved it yesterday found where the wood was stacked It oxidized. What was exposed to light, some sunlight, remained bright purple. The reverse side also changed. The first picture is the wood before it was cut.
    Attached Files
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Thank you for your observations. When we're in a hurry or focused we don't notice things like this. It's intriguing when we're not so tunnel visioned. Things we scratched our heads on before actually start to make sense a little.
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Actually, Linda, I was quite irritated it had changed as I wanted to use it. Interesting to see what Bob has to say about this. The piece it was cut from is still purple no change in color.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

If it’s going to change, better for it to change before you use it so you know what you’ll end up with. Still a disappointment though
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

This article shows what happens. It also lists what some colors turn into. It's a pain to decide on how it's going to shift, but can be worth the planning. I've also used this site to help me identify some of the woods that I forgot I had and either cut off the area where I labeled it or forgot to label it.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-exotic-woods/

Comment

Labtechjc that is a very interesting article. With many interesting comments.
            ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

I thought it was too. I at one time had a little write up I made using the information from the site to have on hand so I could explain how the colors would change and what you could expect from it in the long run. I know first hand on how far purple heart will go. I made a barrette out of it for my sister. You wouldn't look at it and say it's purple, but more of a darker color with a dark purple hue to it. Still looks good though.

Comment

My first experience with changing colors was watching a fresh cut walnut log cut into lumber. Beautiful iridescent purple hues. When stacked, the hues stayed for a while on the boards under the top board while the top board remained turned to reddish-brown-purpleish, then later to a beautiful brown. I searched and asked cabinet makers and wood workers back in the 60's how to keep that original color. My questions were just dismissed, mainly because I think they didn't have an answer. Then in the 80's I made a table out of cherry. Beautiful. Still have it. But it went from a pinkish cherry to the dark patina cherry color. I liked the new color but I wanted the original.

I finally learned to accept color changes as a fact. A word that I don't ever see mentioned anymore that I Used to see is the word "tannin". Maybe that is an old word, but high tannin woods would change color, and if I wanted to blacken wood, high tannin woods would interact and blacken fast - using vinegar and steel wool. Tannin was blamed by some for a while as being the cause.

I saw a 2 ft by 3 ft by 3 inch slab of brown wood that looked exactly like brown walnut when I was in a home center in Toyota City Japan. I looked at that piece for a couple of months and it did not have a label on it, just the price. Finally I decide to ask a clerk what it was, and the answer was "kuwa" or "mulberry". (Mulberry trees are the traditional silk work trees.) My experience with mulberry was that it looked a lot like teak in color and somewhat in grain. I eventually bought that piece and made some bowls from it and gave them to friends. In the three years after making those bowls before leaving Japan, they all stayed "teak" colored. In my own mind, I figured that the original cut was green, the tannins (and light) turned it brown on both sides and all edges, but the inside was teak colored. I was somewhat surprised and a little disappointed that I didn't have the walnut colored slab.
                Last edited by leehljp; 06-05-2018, 01:16 PM.
                Hank Lee
                Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Read the article about light etc. but what turned brown was covered by a piece of blood wood. What had been exposed to sunlight and shop light for 2 years stayed purple. What was covered changed. This came from groff and Groff. Their drying process is air dry for one year+ than kiln dry. The turners have told me to use dyes to maintain color. This was the blood wood on top exposed to all the light. No color change.
                  Attached Files
                  Betty

Comment

My guess would be that the two leached from each other. Adding dyes feels like cheating it to me. But as with all things, some show their age faster than others.

Comment

The blood wood looks purple in the picture but it is a pretty reddish color. No change in that.
                      Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X