How do you get rid of "fuzzies"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get rid of "fuzzies"?

Ok, I have a question for you detail carvers out there. Seems that when I get down to the end of a carving and am putting on the last few cuts, I get 'fuzzies' in the cracks where two adjoining angles meet. They look like several slices of little bits of wood that need to be cleaned up before it looks finished. What's the trick to not getting them? Sharper knives? Smaller knives? I'm currently getting rid of them with micro tools and the not-so-occasional dremel tool...GASP!

What's the trick?

Thanx much,
    Brian

Re: How do you get rid of "fuzzies"?

The evil fuzzies!!!
    I use a scalpel blade it is sort of like a x-acto blade, that works great. I am new to power, but some off those little bits can work too. Sometimes a V-tool works in that spot.
    Have fun Michele.

Comment

I use a wood burner with a detail blade to get the little splinters out of the corners.
      Visit Easton, Md's Waterfowl Festival November 8th 9th and 10th.

Comment

I use small riffler files; they come in v, u, flat, square and a few other profiles and most work down to a needle point.
        There are also diamond rifflers, but I haven't tried them yet.

Al

Comment

Al....Pick up some of those diamond rifflers when you get the chance, I think you'll really like them. I picked up a set on sale a few years ago and use them a lot. They don't seem to plug up as bad as the conventional type... 8)

Comment

Thanks, Capt, I think I will pick a set up next time down to the twin cites

Al

Comment

I just saw the answer to this on the beginners site, they took scotchbrite pads and cut a small disk, put a hole in the center and use on dremel or foredom....good idea....not mine but a good idea!

Comment

the scotchbrite idea came from mdallensr....thought he should get the credit! tried to modify my last entry and it said I had to register to use that function????? yet it recognizes my user name......computers :-X

Comment

??? Lets see if I'm still a guest? :P

Comment

:'( something is messed up on this forum, I login in, and it recognizes my username, then when I click on a topic it says 'guest' >

Comment

Thanx for all the suggestions...I think I'll end up going with the pad on the Dremel for now, but I'll end up with the files. Who can pass up a 'need' for new tools, right?

Thanx again,
                      Brian

Comment

When I first started using Scotchbrite on a mandrel to defuzz carvings, I patiently cut them into little circles about the size of the fiberglass cutting discs. Now, I've gotten smarter or lazier and I just cut them into squares of about 1 1/2'. Once you start using them on your wood, they round off on their own. Besides, when the square is fresh, I use it on the roughest part of the carving--in no time, it's rounded. I do use the rifflers only in areas where the Scotchbrite can't go. I generally use the deep red colored Scotchbrite for defuzzing--white for smoothing; kinda like using different levels of sandpaper.
                        Good luck!
                        Donna T

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X