mix polyurethane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mix polyurethane

I use mostly Min Wax polyurethane, brush on, spray, and mix my own wipe on, 50%-50% poly and mineral spirts, I thought I read someplace it is not necessary to stir/mix polyurethane because it will not separate? Any one agree with this? Same way with spray cans, is it necessary to shake 2 full minutes? thanks for any replies. dan

I always follow the MFG's recommendations to be safe. I would hate to put in all the work into a project and then have the finish fail.
    I managed a custom semiconductor processing lab and we always had someone that tried to save time by changing the process destroying months of work.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I agree with Rolf. Follow the product instructions on the can. Not worth the risk of potential problems to save a couple minutes.

If the polyurethane is anything but a gloss, stirring also serves the purpose of blending the flattening agents that make it either a satin or semi-gloss.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Hold your spray can by the top and spin in a circle to stir for 2 minutes than shake right before spraying. It gets the contents on the bottom mixed better.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

My favorite poly is the Minwax. I found a really old can of the brush on kind (semi-gloss) in the back of the closet last week. Opened it up. It had indeed separated a little, and needed stirring to remix.
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

When I know I am going to use a can of spray the next day or so, I will shake it for about 30 seconds or so and then turn the can upside down over night. Then when I am ready to use it the next day, I shake it (upright) for the time stated. This works well on cans that have been sitting for a few months.
            Hank Lee
            Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

thanks for the replies, sounds like good advice. I will be honest, I have not read the directions on the can (brush on) lately. I contacted the manufacture via the contact / email option. There advice is to stir the product before using. thanks dan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                Reply to Hey Dad, guess what happened to me today
                NC Scroller
                That is one where you tell Kevin we really don't need to know until at least 6 months after it happened. There are lots of crazy people out there....
                Today, 08:24 AM
              • Jim McDonald
                Reply to Hey Dad, guess what happened to me today
                Jim McDonald
                I really don't know what to say about that--other than I think I tried to treat "that" guy for chest pains 35 years ago in a mobile home (trailer).
                Glad Kevin got out with nothing more than a great story for the guys back at the water cooler.
                Today, 07:39 AM
              • tgiro01
                Reply to Business cards the gift that keeps on giving.
                tgiro01
                You're absolutely right -

Last week, a lady who had picked one of my cards at the downtown show, called and asked if she could come out and look at my bowls. She came an hour later, walked up to my latest bowl and asked the price. I told her and she whipped a check on me. About the third...
                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
              • daveswoodworking
                Reply to Secret Santa Exchange 2017
                daveswoodworking
                I received my secret Santa gift from NcScroller 12/15/2017 thank you for the praying hands and the bell Intarsia kit looks like it will be interested to make I never made one before

thank you so very
                much
                david...
                Yesterday, 09:23 PM
              • Jim McDonald
                Reply to It's done
                Jim McDonald
                When I figured out what you were doing, I figured you would have to remove a ton of wood to get the movement to sit correctly. Really like the numbers. Any guess on weight?
                Yesterday, 08:42 PM
              Working...
              X