Rounding over edges on 1/8 inch bb plywood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a link to the American Amazon site:

Never having seen one of these--they look very similar to the buffing wheels I stock for the truck technicians when they are buffing cylinder liners. The one I have may be a bit more abrasive. Will have to give one a try on some plywood.

PHYHOO 80Pcs Fine Abrasive Wheel Brush for Dremel&foredom Rotary Tools 2.35mm - - Amazon.com
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Roundover router bit in a Dremel router table also works and gives a very even roundover.I have only used this a couple times as I usually make everything fron 1/4 or thicker.
      Fredfret
      Wichita, ks

Comment

I am new to scroll sawing but not to woodworking. Even so, it was only since getting started in scroll sawing that I had the need for rounding and sanding corners of contours, especially such tight internal contours. I learned of sanding mops, but only of the large style as mentioned earlier in this fairly old thread. I found these "Sand Flap" rotary sanders recently and ordered the set of six grits, 80-320.

http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_sandflaps

I am very pleased with the results and I have only used the 180 grit so far. It has rounded the corners slightly and not over sanded anything. I'm using them on a vertical mill at the moment, but clearly they are meant for drill presses and I'm sure they would work in a drill clamped in a vise if that is all that is at hand. The mill allows continuous variation of spindle speeds, where I think slower speeds may allow for getting deeper into recesses without taking too much off of the edges. Need to test this to be sure.

I also recently learned of some micro finger polishers called "radial bristle disks. These are meant for metal sanding and polishing and so may be more aggressive than is desirable with wood, but again, lowering the spindle speeds may allow for effective uses with wood. The attraction for me is the appear to be capable of getting deep into narrow recesses.

https://www.riogrande.com/product/3m...ter-kit/332595

I haven't ordered these yet as I plan on calling the vendor with some questions. I believe I will be ordering a kit as I do metal working and edge tool sharpening also and I know they will be useful for that even if they don't work out for wood.

Rick
        "If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."

Comment

Hey folks,

I have followed this thread for a while and tried it. I looked and the flap wheels but was concerned about using on fragile fretwork. Then saw someone suggesting Scotch Brite pads. I found 3M stripping pads to try and have to say I'm really impressed what they did on my fretwork. Really cleaned up the fuzzies on the backs of the most fragile fretwork.

I kinda went overboard and cut my own 1.5" disks out of a 4" x 6" pads using a band saw then mounted in a mandril in my hand tool and run at a fairly slow speed. I've only tried the green 'light' duty pads. The only issue I have is they leave a green 'smudge' on the wood surface. That's OK if the back side goes against a backer or will not be seen, but some of my fretwork is seen on both sides. A 3-pack is 6 bucks at Menards. I I get 11 disks per pad so 33 disks comes to about .18 ea. (I got time invested too).

However I'm curious about the ones mentioned above (PHYHOO 80Pcs Fine Abrasive Wheel Brush for Dremel & foredom Rotary Tools 2.35mm - - Amazon.com). 80 - 1" wheels for $16, or .20 ea, no labor and free shipping. Do these leave any smudge marks? How long do they last??

Gotta say once I tried this method of sanding/deburring it sure bets using needle files and small sandpaper scraps to clean up the fuzzies. A wheel doesn't last too long but I'm liking the clean up it does.

Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X