Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rounding over edges on 1/8 inch bb plywood

Hi all,
    I make a lot of ornaments for gifts and I would like to get a nice rounded over edge on them. I use my small 1 inch strip sander to do the edges but was looking for quick ways of doing it without by hand.
    Thanks
    Bill

DEWALT 788 and Hegner 18vs..... AND STILL CUTTIN IT UP!!!!

Member of Scrollsaw Association of the World

I use a sanding mop. Works great.
    Tracy

Nicholasville, KY
    ​Excalibur 21"
    www.sawdustgallery.com

Comment

Also use my mop. I use it alot to just take the edge off almost everything I cut. Puzzles, cardholders, etc. gives it a polished look.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I also use the Mac Mop on almost every project.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I'm going to ditto the sanding mop - but also ad that I've started to use abrasive buffs on my Dremel tool with exceptionally fragile pieces of fretwork - I've only been using them for a short period of time but am impressed with how they perform. I get them off of Amazon - but note that the website below shows Canadian prices:

https://www.amazon.ca/Yasumai-Abrasi...olishing&psc=1

Should also add that these require a smaller chuck in your tool than most of your other bits.

Jay

Comment

Thanks Ranger Ray, I will check them out.
            Bill

DEWALT 788 and Hegner 18vs..... AND STILL CUTTIN IT UP!!!!

Member of Scrollsaw Association of the World

Comment

RangerJay, have you tried them to remove fuzzies off the back of fret work? I use a Dremel with a little wire wheel sometimes and it gets the ones my other methods won't. Fact it works great, but I'm wondering how the ones you show might work,,, maybe even better.
              AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Scrappile View Post
                RangerJay, have you tried them to remove fuzzies off the back of fret work? I use a Dremel with a little wire wheel sometimes and it gets the ones my other methods won't. Fact it works great, but I'm wondering how the ones you show might work,,, maybe even better.
                They have been more than fine for the work I've done with them so far - I was really pleased with how they softened hard edges and prepared the surface of the fretwork before finishing. The wood I was working on was 1/8" Padauk - they cleaned the fuzzies easily and cleanly. What is interesting about that particular piece of fretwork is that I knew it was way too delicate to use the sanding mop - so I tried the abrasive buff as a bit of a one-off experiment - it was very easy to support the piece while buffing - and the job it did was superb. The jury might still be out on other kinds of hardwood or plywood - but they are inexpensive enough to experiment with.

Jay

Comment

I like using a Mac Mop for something thin. Does an easy quick job.

Comment

I vote for the sanding mop or the mac mop. Practice with it before using it on fine pieces. If you aren't careful it will round off corners. It you don't have a good grip on your piece, a sanding mop will cheerfully throw it across the room for you.
                    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Another BIG fan of a sanding mop. I have an old mini lathe that I have my mop mounted on.
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by tgiro01 View Post
                        . It you don't have a good grip on your piece, a sanding mop will cheerfully throw it across the room for you.
                        Funny how sometimes, you can almost hear a tool laughing at you!
                        Jim
                        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerJay View Post
                          I'm going to ditto the sanding mop - but also ad that I've started to use abrasive buffs on my Dremel tool with exceptionally fragile pieces of fretwork - I've only been using them for a short period of time but am impressed with how they perform. I get them off of Amazon - but note that the website below shows Canadian prices:

https://www.amazon.ca/Yasumai-Abrasi...olishing&psc=1

Should also add that these require a smaller chuck in your tool than most of your other bits.

Jay
                          Yep. I've used the abrasive buffs for a few years now, to remove fuzzies on the backs of portraits. They wear down fairly quickly, but they are great for very fragile pieces. Slow speed with the Dremel and a light touch and the risk of damage is almost nil.
                          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Spindle mounted Mac Mop. I support my ornaments on a flat piece of wood when I use it, even on the delicate stuff.
                            Jay, those look interesting I will have to order some.
                            Rolf
                            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                              Spindle mounted Mac Mop. I support my ornaments on a flat piece of wood when I use it, even on the delicate stuff.
                              Jay, those look interesting I will have to order some.
                              Looks like you will need to travel to buy those. Does not look like they are sold in the US.
                              Scott
                              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X