No announcement yet.

finishing maple

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all, I like getting advice like this instead of trial and error on my part. I still can't believe I read the can wrong when I got it Saturday. I do plan on posting photos soon. I have some other projects that I have finished and want to show them to the forum for any comments that may help me in the long run.

Dan

Comment

The board on the left is maple sprayed with a water base finish for our cabinets. The ones on the right are also maple sprayed with same finish, they have a grayish look. Everything was handled the exact same way. After all it is SLRA doing this. Same maple bought at same time. The grayish is the color I get.
      Attached Files
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

For me I would pick the one on the left. For some reason I've always liked the lighter colors better. And like I said in the post that shows the wolf clock I made I don't know where I got maple into my head. The tree that was cut down was an elm not maple

Dan

Comment

That's what we are going for Dan. All of the face frames have turned out the lighter color. The grayish ones aren't face frames, they will be for the pullouts in the bottom cabinets. I suggested using the gray pieces for the back piece and the lighter color for the front and sides. The problem is, we need to get more wood to do the pullouts and Bruce is afraid it will turn out grayish, which he has already said what he has finished is expensive firewood. I told him no one would see them but he said he knows they are there. After all the time and effort he has put into these cabinets, I'm not going to argue with him. Luckily, he has sprayed all the wood he has for the face frames, prior to buying the latest boards, and they have turned out light. Another problem, is the Home Depot is now getting in junk plywood. It is either marked Equador or not stamped on the side at all and it is pure junk!! We need one more nice piece for the end of the cabinet that is seen from the dining room. The other store we got all our wood from? Out of business. It was owned by 3 owners, 50%, 40% and 10%. The major owner, and financier, died in April and did not have a life insurance policy to take care of the tax mess they inherited from the owner, who now owns 40% and is no where to be found. The wife of the majority owner refuses to help the guy who owns 10%, who was busting his butt trying to keep afloat, but didn't have enough money for rent. He was told to just walk away, so he did. He has new investors but are having problems finding a descent spot. We are so close to finishing these cabinets!!! Frustrating!!!
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X