finishing maple

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finishing maple

I just finished a project using some of the maple stumps that were cut into boards for me. What is a good finish to use? It's a clock with a wolf at the bottom. All I have here is Danish Oil, Shellac and Gloss polyurethane

Dan

I personally am not a fan of gloss finishes. I have used satin lacquer if it is fretwork. I do dip it in a 50/50 mix of zinser sanding sealer and alcohol. That seals the inner frets. Then a light sanding and then the lacquer.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf,

Is the alcohol like rubbing alcohol? Do you suppose the sanding sealer is something I could find at the lumber yard or hardware store here?

Comment

Guessing denatured alcohol. Rolf, when you dip in that mixture, does it change the color of maple?
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I get my sanding sealer at Home Depot.

Comment

Not rubbing alcohol. I get a quart can of denatured alcohol at Lowes along with the sanding sealer
            http://www.rockler.com/zinsser-bullseye-sealcoat
            https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...xoCcgUQAvD_BwE

Home depot and Lowes have the sealer.
            Rolf

Comment

I think any penetrating finish changes or lightly darkens the wood. It brings out the highlights in the grain.
              Rolf

Comment

So I found some Min-wax Sanding Sealer and denatured alcohol at True Value yesterday. Mixed it 50/50 like Rolf suggested and applied it to the maple board using a brush. My wife was happy with how it looked. I have not applied the lacquer yet. There was some of the mixture left so I stored it in a glass jar with a lid. When I went to use it this afternoon for another project the mixture had really thickened up. It was almost like thick paste. Can I not store this then? Or do I just guess at how much to mix and hope I have enough? I was a little leary about adding more alcohol to the paste like mixture because this is all new to me.

Dan

Comment

The sanding sealer Rolf was referring to is Shellac. It's called Zinnser Seal Coat. It is thinned with denatured alcohol. The Min-Wax sanding sealer you have is something different. Do the instructions on the can suggest what to use as a thinner? If not, what do they recommend using as a solvent for clean-up? I suspect you are experiencing some sort of compatibility problem from mixing the alcohol with the Min-Wax product.
                  Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Yes, it would appear that I'm more than a little confused. What I got was Min-wax sanding sealer not Zinnser seal coat.. I will have to look again at the link that Rolf has in an earlier part of this post. The Min-wax can does not call for any type of thinner to be used. It states that after dry I can apply any type of oil or water based polyurethane to the surface. The only mention of clean up is to use warm water in order to clean the brush when done

My wife likes how it looks like right now. Can I just leave it and not bother putting on any oil or water based polyurethane? Or would it hurt the clock if I put a few coats of lacquer on top of it?

Dan

Comment

If it ain't broke . . .

Seriously, without knowing what went wrong, you might end up with a mess on your clock. Of course you can leave it as is. It's your project, after all!
                      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

The Zinser I used is shellac based and alcohol is a thinner for it. I suspect you got the water based Minwax since you could clean the brush in water. Like the others have said if you like the way it looks leave it alone. Could you post a picture for us?
                        Rolf

Comment

My issue is the end grain of maple turns grayish, which I don't like. Trying to avoid that. Bruce said think of end grain as thousands of tiny little straws soaking up the finish. Where does he get this stuff from? His brain really works overtime. LOL
                          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by Dan A View Post
                            My wife likes how it looks like right now. Can I just leave it and not bother putting on any oil or water based polyurethane? Or would it hurt the clock if I put a few coats of lacquer on top of it?

Dan
                            I wouldn't put lacquer on it. Lacquer needs a specific sanding sealer that is compatible.
                            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

On the can of the Zinser that I have linked above it says it is OK with Lacquer. But I agree with Bill I would not risk lacquer on what you have now certainly not without a test piece.

Betty I am not sure I have seen the end grain go grey on maple.
                              Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Scrappile
                                Reply to 1999 Hegner M18?
                                Scrappile
                                I believe some of the earlier ones do not have the quick tension release at the front of the top arm. That would be a show stopper for me. I have seen several 18" in various conditions and they usually are listed around $400.
                                Keep in mind I live in the North West and scroll saws are a hard...
                                Today, 11:15 AM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to It's done
                                cwmagee
                                I have always want to try a project like that, however I have not gotten around to it. Nice work!
                                Today, 10:45 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to It's done
                                Sandy Oaks
                                That is really cool.
                                Today, 10:28 AM
                              • snatiep
                                1999 Hegner M18?
                                snatiep
                                Hello Everyone,

I currently cut with a DeWalt and a RBI Hawk 226 scroll saw.

I was on ebay this morning and saw local to me a Hegner M18 with stand and accessories for $800 or best offer.

I'd love to try a Hegner but the age of the saw has me concerned. It says...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Hey Dad, guess what happened to me today
                                NC Scroller
                                That is one where you tell Kevin we really don't need to know until at least 6 months after it happened. There are lots of crazy people out there....
                                Today, 08:24 AM
                              Working...
                              X