next question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• next question

I gave a puzzle as a gift, she would like to have it glued together and free standing. It is 3/4" cherry with multiple coats of spray on polyurethane. I tried Elmer's glue, but the way I do it, I use
    Q-tips with water to wipe off the excess glue. It seems as though the glue did not want to stick to the smooth polyurethane, maybe I did not let it dry long enough or used too much water. Any suggestions what kind of glue to use or how to do this? How to avoid excess glue squeeze out? thanks for any help. dan in Pa

The finish not withstanding the problem with trying to glue puzzle pieces together is a saw blade kerf. Most wood glues (Elmer's, Titebond, etc) requires the pieces to make even contact. NO GAPS. That won't happen because the wood that was in the kerf is gone. Also wood glues like mentioned above have to soak in to a degree to hold fast. The only way I know you can do this is with a foaming glue like Gorilla glue. It expands when it dries and fills the gap and it does not need to soak in to hold fast. Just use Gorilla glue sparingly to keep it from oozing out.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

It might be easier to just recut it, RJ
      Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

How about using 1/8 backing and glue it on

Comment

The backing idea sounds good. It would be like doing a mosaic.

"Time to give back."
          "Time to Give Back"

Comment

I also like the backing idea.
            Denny
            ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

The backer idea also gives it the strength it needs for the pieces that would have the hanger attached.
              Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Aleen's tacky glue will work. Don't thin it. Apply it with a toot pick. clean the squeeze out with a clean tooth pick.
                With that said, if some one asked me to glue together a stand up puzzle, I would've refused. It's a puzzle!
                Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                  Reply to Drum sander tool
                  handibunny
                  Just saw an interview about the new SuperMax 16-32 on Facebook, and it was mentioned that the new folding infeed and outfeed tables are available for the 19-38. Price is about $149.
                  Today, 03:30 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Woodpeckers
                  will8989
                  Yes the email said one and done. Bruce rates their tools with Inca.
                  Today, 02:33 PM
                • bstark
                  Reply to Scrapwood Bowl
                  bstark
                  Brilliant! I love it. I have tons of scrap wood that I just can't part with... and I have been pondering what I should do with it. Some of the pieces can be used with intarsia, but honestly, I am running out of storage for it. This is a great idea that I will be happy to borrow. =) Nice work.
                  Today, 11:01 AM
                • Stoney
                  Reply to This doesn't happen often in the shop
                  Stoney
                  Yeah blade clamps falling on the floor huh? And I thought that only happened with a Hegner. I couldn't believe it the first time it happened to me with my Hegner. I finally got tired of looking for the bottom clamp when it left the scene and decided to do something about it.. I made a combination...
                  Today, 10:47 AM
                • BobD
                  Reply to Drum sander tool
                  BobD
                  (facebook algorithms not allowing me to find the page right now... doh.) If the new one is the same one I receive a press release about (the quick adjustment lever, and folding infeed/outfeed tables), I've reached out to them asking if these can be retrofit onto older sanders...

Bob
                  Today, 10:04 AM
                Working...
                X