Pre finishing plywood before cut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre finishing plywood before cut

At the meeting last week, Bruce was talking to a guy who said he purchased prefinished plywood in a semi gloss finish and used for his cabinets. More expensive but a time saver. So, my thought is Bruce finish the plywood before he cuts it. It would save at least a week in drying time. We are using 12 ply Russian birch ply,with a matte finish. Anyone ever hear of the prefinished plywood or finish yourself before cutting?
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Menards ( big box store) carries 1/4 , 1/2, and 3/4" prefinished in Birch and Oak, 4 x 8 sheets. I don't know how it would cut though, it might chip.

Comment

Pre finished isn't a bad way to go. Some thought needs to be applied when cutting though if your using a table saw you want to score the cut line on the bottom with a razor knife to prevent chips a Skil saw you would score the top. Just pay attention to blade direction for which way the blade comes through the piece. Jig saws have both up and down stroke blades available. I don't think I would go with a matte finish though for kitchen cabinets the more gloss you go with the easier things wipe off Satin is about the lowest I ever go on cabinets or furniture.
      Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

The one advantage of that would be doing the panels before they are put in the frame would prevent unfinished areas from showing when and if the panels shrink or move.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

He's already thought of scoring the plywood. He also has a skill saw that he used on the cabinet in my office which is finished in Satin. We are getting semi gloss today to try, which I will probably go with in the kitchen. Never thought about the shrinkage Rolf. I think I had a good idea on prefinishing!!!! Will save at least one week drying time.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Commercial cabinet shops use a lot of plywood that is pre-finished on one side (inside). One of our scroll saw club members lives near a cabinet shop and periodically raids their scrap bin (with permission, of course). He brings a load to our meetings from time to time to share with the rest of the club. I have a bunch of it in my shop right now. Great for jigs and other shop projects.
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

My only concern with pre-finished stuff is how to you repair or touch up any spots that need it.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Now Scott, you know SL&RA already thought of that. Face framing will cover the cross grain cuts and the side cuts will be with the grain. He will score all cuts before cutting. He has a piece of 4x4x2 foam insulaion that he puts under the wood he cuts with the skil saw. OR, he could cut to size and finish before he puts together. When he did the cabinet he put it together than sprayed which took a long time to dry as he could only do one side at a time. I don't think now is the time to tell him about the cut out for the door from the kitchen to the basement for a stained glass window. It's a bifold door so it would actually be two windows.😲
                Betty

Comment

Not to encourage any further toy er tool expenditures, I won a Festool track saw at our clubs show a couple of years ago. When I finally tried it I was amazed that even on crap plywood there was NO split out. I also have a zero clearance insert on the table saw. that helps tremendously. But I am sure SL&RA is way ahead of me with all of his cabinet experience.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Now Rolf, of course he has zero clearance on his table saw. He said something about a different blade for cutting plywood he has.
                    Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• DWSudekum
                      Reply to Scrollmania is still available for another year
                      DWSudekum
                      Dave any chance of making it stand alone?

DW
                      Today, 12:21 AM
                    • DaveVanEss
                      Scrollmania is still available for another year
                      DaveVanEss
                      I just paid for another year for scrollmania,com. Is cost me $170. If any of you bowl makers use PolyDraw and would like to support it, there is a donation button on the front page. I am presently looking to find a permanent home for these tools. I am not a young man and I want to be sure that...
                      Today, 12:05 AM
                    • NiftyWoodCraft
                      Reply to More Miniature Birdhouses
                      NiftyWoodCraft
                      beautiful, Denny, as always!...
                      Yesterday, 07:15 PM
                    • Jo Labre
                      Reply to White Tail Deer
                      Jo Labre
                      Wow, NiftyWoodCraft - I feel honored. Your first post is a compliment to me! Welcome to the forum. The nice folks here are helpful and willing to share their information. Be sure to take advantage of the search function. I used it alot when I was researching tools to buy.
                      Yesterday, 07:06 PM
                    • Sandy Oaks
                      Reply to More Miniature Birdhouses
                      Sandy Oaks
                      I use 1 3/8"x1 3/8" stock, nothing really hard. I really like compound cutting....
                      Yesterday, 06:58 PM
                    Working...
                    X