Finishing Basswood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finishing Basswood

I have used poly over acrylics. Linseed and oil paint antiquing over acrylics. wax over acrylics. wax melted and mixed with oil paint over acrylics (my least favorite but it might have been my mix, it didn't hurt the paint though). Wax over poly over acrylics. The method I have used lately that I didn't think would work is one recommended by Pete LeClair..Applying a mix of boiled linseed tinted with raw sienna oil before painting with acrylics. So far no miserable failures but I would try a finish I wasn't familliar with on scrap wood first.

for sanding smooth I give the first sanding with 80 grit to take out tool marks then hit it with 100 or 120, then pour boiling water over the thing, let it dry, then hit it with 120 again, then sanding sealer, then 180 or so, then sanding sealer, then 220, then sanding sealer, then finer grit still, etc up to about 400. the sanding sealer brings out the grain and the finer and finer grits polish the wood. finish with a wax or a poly.

Dave

Comment

I've heard the boiling water thing mentioned before. What does that do? ???

Teri

Comment

just helps raise the grain a little better

Comment

Comment

Boy, I'm going to get the right yet...lol. I've tried basswood from several different suppliers now....just seeing what the differences are, etc. I've grown to like the ease of carving the basswood, for sure. As for the 'fuzzies' that I get from sanding - it seems that some pieces fuzz up and some don't, doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason about it.

Question about the sanding sealer - I've never used it before. If I use a sanding sealer, will it keep my paint from then soaking into the wood while I'm painting?

Teri

Comment

Yes

Comment

I use Minwax prestain wood conditioner, let it dry overnight and then brush with a scrub brush. That gets rid of the fuzz. the paint will soak in, but will flow nice and even.

woody01

Comment

Lorax, I probably don't know all that much, but have had some sucess and a few failures with finish. Sooooo.....for an extremely durable outdoor finish, I'd go with a poly/spar marine varnish, such as Minwax Helmsman. There are probably some better marine varnishes, but this stuff is generaly available in most hardware stores, whereas you may have to find a marine supply to get most others.

The absolutely toughest stuff I've found is the marine two part epoxy finishes. They come in a variety of colors, but I haven't seen any in sizes less than a quart, and this stuff is pricey.

If you are going to use your sculpture outside in the sun, make sure you usea UV resistant paint or you will have a bit of color loss. The spar varnishes will help prevent this.

Also, if you are using pine, that has a high pitch content, and put it in the sun, expect some blistering, as the heat fom the sun will vaporize some of the more volatile oils in the pitch and force the finish to bulge with little (or big) gas bubbles. I learned this one the hard way, and I now have a carosel style frog that needs repair.

You should be able to finish acrylic with marine varnish, once the primarys have cured, although, you may get a slight amont of yellowing, as the piece ages. If it's outside, this should not be a problem, as weathering will enhance the piece.

Bringing the piece in, in the winter, is a good idea, cuz even the best of finishes, and the wood itself will shrink in the extreme cold, and may cause surface cracks that will allow water penetration.

If you use a varnish over a gloss enamel, you may run into problems with adhesion, unless you go over ALL the enamel with a 0000 steel wool to break the glaze.

I've made a sign or two that have been outdoors for several years now and have stood up to 90+degree to -40 degree temps, with that marine finish. and had that frog's finish fail while inside but in the sun.

A lot will depend on what Murphy has to say, but you can limit the failures by following the manufatures directions closely. Watch the 'dry' and 'cure' time rcommendations, You can't cheat on these, or you will guarantee a failed finish in a hurry! On the other hand, experiment around a bit. I'm still oooking for new uses for old finishes.

Al

Comment

I sand my basswood sticks with 150 grit followed by 220 grit. No problems with 'fuzzing' yet. I also paint with acrylics and finish with clear enamel spray.

Cliff

Comment

Thanks, Cliff. I think I'm getting a little better at it. I was sanding with the dremel, and it just brought up all kinds of fuzz. I started sanding it by hand, using first 220, then 400, then finishing with 2000. I'm also letting more of my chisel marks show on the basswood pieces I do - I was trying to sand it the same as pine, and it just isn't the same wood. I also find that if I soak the piece with water first, my acrylics or watercolors soak into the wood with uniformity.

Live and learn - and I'm using more basswood these days :-)

Teri

Comment

Hi SantaCarvinLady... I'm curious how long, or to what degree, you soak your carvings prior to painting? Do you soak the whole piece or just the area to be painted at the time? How about after you have applied a coat and want to do a second one, do you wet the surface?
                        As a fan of your work I hope you don't mind all the questions. By the way have you ever given any thought to putting out a how-to book? If you haven't you should.

Comment

Thanks, Bandaid...lol....I wouldn't even know how to go about doing a how-to manual - I couldn't teach a rock to sink.

As for the basswood, I just keep a spray bottle next to me and give the area I'm going to paint a good soaking (dripping wet). Yes, I re-wet it with every layer of paint - except for the final layer of details.

Teri

Comment

:P I'm glad you posted this as I was thinking the same thing. I was told just to either paint it or use natural beeswax (or stain it but I have been told that it sometimes does not work out). I have also been told that analitic dyes (I think its spelled right ) work well and of course adrylic will work great to.

Comment

Thx. SCL...When my carvings are finished and it comes to painting I seem to get a mental block, so I need all the help I can get. Thanks again and all the best in the Noo Year to you and yours.

Comment

No problem - you know, I learned to paint just by picking up all sorts of painting books along the way. There are so many techniques out there - you just keep the ones you like and throw away the rest. Pick up a few simple painting books - even those for tole painters will do. The techniques are there....you can simply adapt them to painting in the round.

Teri

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                  Reply to What is it?
                                  by will8989
                                  Yes, but what is it used for?
                                  Today, 02:15 PM
                                • Jim McDonald
                                  Reply to What is it?
                                  by Jim McDonald
                                  Four partially drilled holes in a block of maybe oak?
                                  Got to remember, I am pretty simplistic.
                                  Today, 01:57 PM
                                • theframer
                                  Reply to Sue Mey's site
                                  by theframer
                                  Thanks for the advice Linda, I may have to do that. The future bride and groom are avid golfers so I would like to do something special for them. Also I am Godfather to the bride and I'm very humbled that she asked me to do this for her.

Rick
                                  Today, 12:23 PM
                                • Rolf
                                  Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
                                  by Rolf
                                  Tony have fun, There is a great lightburn forum on face book also for Orture I would assume. What size did you get?

Linda, With the laser engraver I just jumped in and then realized I had bought something that was very limiting and started to research after the fact. I know better, but...
                                  Today, 10:02 AM
                                • will8989
                                  Reply to Spring Issue
                                  by will8989
                                  Bruce wishes I was less challenging.
                                  Today, 09:42 AM
                                Working...
                                X