Finishing Basswood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing Basswood

Okay, still playing with this basswood issue.....how do you all finish it? When I sand it, it comes up sort of 'fuzzy' - is that normal? Do you NOT sand it, but just make clean cuts? When you do have it smoothed, does it need to be sealed or protected in any way? I ask, because I don't normally use any kind of oils, etc. - just water-based paint and varnishes. Is that okay for basswood?

Teri

Re: Finishing Basswood

Just me - and what do I know? :P . I don't sand at all, ever. And I just seal over wood burned areas, then paint with acrylics and antique with oil based Liquin. That's it. My oldest carving is just 14 years old but I haven't had any complaints so far.

Comment

Thanks, Nancy...that helps. I need to look closer at a couple of yours...are there close-up shots anywhere I could look at?

Teri

Comment

yes I sand basswood and yes it does get fuzzy at times, I want to try some KT sealer, supposed to help and can be burned over, also you can turn your burner down and burn off the frizzies! and I finish naturally and paint, I have used acrylics and oils and don't see any particular problem with either one.

Comment

Basswood always fuzzes when I sand it so I seal it with a sanding sealer first (not waterbased). Then, only LIGHTLY!
          this removes ALL the fuzzies.

Al

Comment

If I want a basswood carving sanded smooth, I usually use a sanding sealer. If you are going to paint with acrylics, you should use waterbased sealer or it may affect the paint.
            I Cut It Six Times And It's Still Too Short!!!

Comment

Lorax, at the risk of sounding argumentative, I use Cabot 2700 sealer exclusively, and have never had any problem using acrylics over it. Once it's dry, it is totally no-reactive. I've even used acrylics OVER poly varnish, in layers to achieve depth to the colors and surface.

I have not had any good experiences with waterbased sealers, but have only tried them over wood working projects finished with stain and clear varnish. They always seem to give a milky appearance to the clear finish. gues that wouldn't matter if the articlwe is going to be pained though!

Al

Comment

Yeah, I have no idea what my precious KT sealer is based with but it's sure not water and acrylics work great over it. At least I THINK they do.
                I hope they do.
                I'm getting paranoid.
                Are you all trying to crucify me?

Comment

I hadn't painted any of my carvings until just recently. Some I just left rought and stained and then waxed them. Others that I wanted smooth I just sanded until I finished with the 120 grit paper then I gave them a good bath in the sink, sanded with 150, another bath, 220, bath, 440, bath, 0000 steel wool, bath, and finally crumpled up brown paper bag. Then couple three coats of wax and the paper bag again. A lot of messing around, but smooth as can be. You could probably dispense with a few of the baths.

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Ya learn something new everyday!

Well I sit corrected. I was always taught not to mix anything that was oil based with water based. Maybe that was just cautious thinking.

Comment

Comment

I don't sand basswood either. I use sealer as mentioned above. Although, I have used glass to scrape the fuzzies. I keep a couple pieces of broken glass around to scrape the areas. If the glass gets dull I just break it again for a nice sharp edge.

Comment

AlArchie, it sounds like you know your stuff, sois there a way I can paint a sculpture, and then coat it with a marine varnish or such. The stipulations are: I have to use a paint that will be opaque (not show the grain), and they have to be specific colors so I cant use stains. I can get the colors out of acrylics, but I didn't think I could cover acrylics with varnish. it will be an outdoor piece, although it will come in in the winter. I did one other outdoor sculpture, and painted it in oil based enamels, I have my fingers crossed as to how the finish will hold up, plus I didn't like the way it turned out too much. Any help would be helpful

Comment

I have used acrylics and then coat with Deft spray when dry, I would think that once everything is dry, if you wanted something else (another coating) over the Deft you could do so, might experiment first but I believe it would work fine.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X