Sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding

I have only been carving for a few months and enjoying it very much. I have gotten conflicting advice from 2 VERY experienced carvers regarding sanding a project before the carving is complete. One says it's fine and the other says that it dulls the carving tools quickly and that I should only do that when I am done carving. ??? ??? ???

Comment

Re: Sanding

I learned the proper use of sandpaper from Harold Enlow of Dogpatch, Arkansas.
      I keep my tools in a wooden cigar box with a 2x2 inch square sheet of sandpaper. This way, as my tools rattle around in the box, they sharpen themselves.

Comment

Yes, I agree it's best to wait til the carving is finished before taking sandpaper to it. If I need to use something to 'clean up' an area before the carving is finished, I'll use tiny chisels or even a riffler. Sanding just gets grit in the way of your chisels...and then you spend much more time getting your chisels sharp again and less time carving :-)

Teri

Comment

As one who often flouts convention, I will admit to using sandpaper during the carving process. Since I strop my knife and tools often during carving anyway I have never noticed any dulling.

Good whittlin, Cliff http://www.geocities.com/cliffordpar...ffsSticks.html

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gary beasley
            Reply to Cutting guide for straight cut on a scroolsaw
            by Gary beasley
            Cutting a straight line I get it started then plant my thumb at the side of the piece and use that to stabilize the cutting path, a bit like the pin you would use on a bandsaw when resawing old style.
            Today, 02:34 PM
          • will8989
            Wood supply
            by will8989
            We went to Groff & Groff yesterday. Purple Heart wood is stuck on a boat somewhere. They said imported exotic and hardwoods are stuck on boats. So if you see a wood you need, grab it while you can.
            Today, 09:58 AM
          • will8989
            Reply to My beauties
            by will8989
            He has 4 of the long ones, but we have other sizes that he uses for clamping up his cheese board slicers, another good seller. They go for $35, left over wood from dough board. On late shift yesterday because I took a 2 hour nap around 7. Off to the saw! I have 8 days of shows in 2 weekends! And one...
            Today, 09:49 AM
          • RJweb
            Reply to My beauties
            by RJweb
            The boards and baskets are beautiful, but maybe buy Bruce some more clamps, also I see you are on the night shift again, RJ...
            Today, 09:28 AM
          • will8989
            Reply to My beauties
            by will8989
            What Carole said. The lips are 1 1/2”, holds the board to the counter and keeps the flour from going off the back. After gluing them to the board, he drilled stainless screws through the lip into the board and made plugs to fill the holes. The board is 3/4” thick. Since he only has 4 large Bessy...
            Today, 01:20 AM
          Working...
          X