Sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding

I have only been carving for a few months and enjoying it very much. I have gotten conflicting advice from 2 VERY experienced carvers regarding sanding a project before the carving is complete. One says it's fine and the other says that it dulls the carving tools quickly and that I should only do that when I am done carving. ??? ??? ???

Comment

Re: Sanding

I learned the proper use of sandpaper from Harold Enlow of Dogpatch, Arkansas.
      I keep my tools in a wooden cigar box with a 2x2 inch square sheet of sandpaper. This way, as my tools rattle around in the box, they sharpen themselves.

Comment

Yes, I agree it's best to wait til the carving is finished before taking sandpaper to it. If I need to use something to 'clean up' an area before the carving is finished, I'll use tiny chisels or even a riffler. Sanding just gets grit in the way of your chisels...and then you spend much more time getting your chisels sharp again and less time carving :-)

Teri

Comment

As one who often flouts convention, I will admit to using sandpaper during the carving process. Since I strop my knife and tools often during carving anyway I have never noticed any dulling.

Good whittlin, Cliff http://www.geocities.com/cliffordpar...ffsSticks.html

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X