• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint and finish on relief carving

http://www.funkychickenartproject.com/white.htm&&

Re: paint and finish on relief carving

Thor,
    I came to ask the almost the same question. I had emergency knee surgery to start the year, so my carving has moved indoors and reduced in size. I have carved a cane handle which I hope to use when the crutches are no longer required. The design on the front of the cnae is paitriotic and I have begun acrylic paint the red,white, blue and gold trim. I had planned to oil the balance of the piece. First I never thought of the reaction between the oil and the paint but is oil a good finish on my mahogany cane handle.
    Thanks to whoever can help Thor and I.

Ah Chip

Comment

Thor,
      First, did you seal the areas where you painted with acrylic paint? If not no mater what you use to cover the carving it will turn the paint darker by at least two shade's. If you used a wash to paint the areas then it won't be as strong. I would sugest trying the combinations you speak of on a scrap of wood before you put it on the carving. Be awear that the pine will change color with expouser to sun light reguardless of what you use.

Comment

Comment

Comment

If you are still concerned about the conbination of the oil and acrylic, I use a matte finish deft on my carvings first. One coat, rub with wrinkled paper bag and then another coat and the paper bag. Then feel free to use your boiled linseed oil with the burnt umber. It gives a rich 'antiqued' appearance I think you will like. Happy carving. Pam

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X