X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacS
    replied
    Mr Cool,

I think you better read the article again.

You could also use your "clear coat" as a wash coat/ sealer. If your clear coat is Lacquer, Shellac, Varnish, Polyurethane, even your Oil Finish could be used as long as the stain is completely dry.

In some cases, it may take more then one application of the sealer, like on open grained woods.

Making up samples will tell you whats best for each wood.

As far as any type of stain goes, if your spraying even with aerosols there is no problem with any stain. its the wiping or brushing coatings that could be a problem, in that case wipe or brush in one direction only, allow for drying, and then wipe or brush in the opposite direction to seal the woods.

A simple "sample" will tell you what to do for all your materials.

www.macsimmons.com
    Last edited by MacS; 03-30-2007, 07:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• devil_121
    replied
    My friend, I think a washcoat is a coat of thinned finish that's applied to bare wood to partially seal the surface before a stain is applied. It keeps the stain from soaking into the wood and causing blotching. It works well on woods like alder, aspen, birch, cherry, and pine. The washcoat is usually made with shellac, vinyl sealer, or glu-size; but you can use other finishes as long as the stain does not dissolve it. To avoid problems, don't use an alcohol reduced dye with a shellac washcoat

Leave a comment:

• MacS
    started a topic A Little About Blotching

A Little About Blotching

This article on the dreaded problem of "blotching" on woods appeared in the "New Woodworking" magazines in the UK.

I thank, NWW for allowing me to pass on this information to those who are interested in preventing or reducing this finishing problem to our projects.

My thanks to SSW&C for allowing me use the article on the forum.

I hope it uploads, otherwise I go to plan #2 - BobD please stand by.
    Attached Files

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
    Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
    by meflick
    got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
    Today, 08:21 PM
  • Jo Labre
    Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
    by Jo Labre
    At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
    Today, 11:13 AM
  • hotshot
    by hotshot
    The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
    Today, 10:14 AM
  • Rolf
    by Rolf
    Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
    Today, 09:32 AM
  • Rolf
    Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
    by Rolf
    I haven't even decided what to make!
    Today, 09:27 AM
Working...
X