The Answer Is Blowing In The Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Answer Is Blowing In The Wind

I wish it was. There's definitely something blowing in the wind, though - my segmented pieces of MDF !

Yesterday I used an aerosol to spray paint some MDF segments. Unfortunately, the force of the spray was so strong that they were blown away. I've tried holding them in place with blu-tack and hot glue, all to no avail. Does anyone know of another technique that can be used to hold segments down when being sprayed?

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

how about pinning a fine mesh net on the top...not sure if this will work well as you might see the "net design" in the finish...never tried it.
    Check me out on the web:
    http://www.kerrysworld.com

Comment

You might try making a vacuum table out of bug screen and a frame. This would be two fold and draw the excess paint into the vaccuum.
      Aswer is in the wind
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Gill I build models as a hobby besides scrolling and I airbrush all my parts what I use is a piece of wood with a good double stick tape (carpet tape works great) to hold the parts, the air pressure I use ranges from 15psi to 25psi and I have yet to loose any parts HTH
        Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

i recently had to spray paint some small letters for a plaque I was making
          I took a scrap of 2 x 4 and laid a piece of duct tape across is sticky side up, then wrapped the ends with tape to pin it down. The letters stayed put and came off easily after drying with a little prying from a hobby knife . It's only good for one use but duct tape is cheap
          ...~Robert~
          DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Originally posted by Sawduster
            i recently had to spray paint some small letters for a plaque I was making
            I took a scrap of 2 x 4 and laid a piece of duct tape across is sticky side up, then wrapped the ends with tape to pin it down. The letters stayed put and came off easily after drying with a little prying from a hobby knife . It's only good for one use but duct tape is cheap
            Only problem might be that the duct tape in the UK isn't as good usually .. must admit I've become a duct tape fan since I've been here. It's amazing what people manage to do with it ..lol

Just had a quick try with that idea, Robert. Blasting the piece with the air compressor at 50 psi rather than an aerosol. The small scrap of wood (approx1x1x1/2) stayed wood stayed there. Now what takes duct tape residue off wood? lol
            Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by PuzzledMoose
              Only problem might be that the duct tape in the UK isn't as good usually
              Judging from what I've heard, that's a fair comment, Ian - however, I do like the idea and I'm wondering if perhaps masking tape might be a suitable alternative.

Great ideas, guys - keep 'em coming! I'm off to do some experimenting

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Masking tape works fine !!!

Gill

Comment

painter's tape will also work and the pieces come off easily

Sue Chrestensen

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X