Aztek Airbrush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aztek Airbrush

Yesterday I bought a basic Aztek A470 airbrush. I've tested it out using water, as suggested in the video that was supplied with it. So far so good! This brush appears to be in a different league to other brushes that I've tried. The next step will be to use paint instead of water .

Does anyone have any experience of this airbrush? Are there any little foibles I ought to be aware of? I see that quite a few accessories are available and I wonder which would be most useful.

By the way, I'd like to thank Buzz for encouraging me not to give up after my previous unsuccessful efforts .

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

There is a full line of models from Aztek
    I have an entry level Aztek. A2203. Mine is a single action design made for model builders.
    I found that the viscosity of the paint, like all air brushes, is quite critical.
    I was using some of the acrylic craft paints but I found the some of the pigiments clogged the tube.
    The brush I have uses clip on paint bottles which allows me to change colours without cleaning the entire brush. That is a real bonus.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hi Gill,

I have an older version of that same airbrush. I like the whole concept of changing the tip no needles etc. It is relativly easy to clean. I use the recommended cleaning solution for the medium being sprayed.
      The only problem that I have had is when I try to spray larger areas I can't seem to get enough paint through the brush. I suspect that that is my problem with not properly thinning the paint.

What are you using as an air source.?
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Air Brushes

Way to go, Gill. I'm not familiar with Aztec, but I think these would be some generic "should do's".
        Air pump you can set the pressure with.
        In-line filter. Water in the air doesn't help.
        Use 15-20# pressure.
        Thin paints a little bit. I even thin "air brush ready' paints. I have the gravity feed brushes and I add a couple of drops of the proper thinner right in the cup and stir it with a tooth pick.
        Siphon feed, where the cup is below the air brush, may take a little more pressure as it has to draw the paint up and through the brush.
        Start the paint flow before you get to the target as the initial burst of pressure may have a small blob or two and keep the brush moving.
        Stay with the air brush. I think I mentioned the ferris wheel I built and painted with one of my air brushes. It really did the job and was a lot easier than any other method. You can go from very fine detail work to something as big as the ferris wheel. As in anything worth doing, practice, practice, practice.
        Buzz
        We Danes are very even tempered. We're always mad about something!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys . I must confess to feeling nervous in case I mess up with this brush because it wasn't cheap. Still, I'm also excited and keen to try it out .

Rolf, I use a can of compressed air. It's the most expensive form of air, I know, but I'm saving up for a proper airbrush compressor. My other half actually has a regular compressor for his staple and nail guns. Could that be adapted, do you think?

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Gill,

The little I know about this amounts to that if you use a regular air compressor, you should have a water trap/filter in the line to ensure their is not water in the air line.
            Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Gill,

Yes your half's compressor will work (I use mine)

Just make sure, as Dan said, that you have a moisture trap on the line and a regulator to adjust the PSI to the airbrush. Sometimes the two are combined in one unit.

It is usefull to have the regulator near the work-station in order to adjust the pressure to adapt it to your work/cleaning requirements (I use a little more pressure when cleaning) and you can adjust the pressure for some of the paint consistency differences (thicker paints need more pressure to disperse)

Have fun,
              Marcel
              http://marleb.com
              DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Our greenhouse got decimated in some recent storms .

Today, my other half suggested we replace it with a wooden shed I could use as a dedicated finishing room . Let's see if this thought gets beyond the 'good idea' stage.

I'll hunt around and see if I can find a moisture trap and regulator for the compressor. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Gill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X