What's a good stain product?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good stain product?

When I'm doing the JGR Teddy Bears for craft shows, the sports teddies are popular - specially the football player, soccer player & cheer leader. Unfortunately, I live in PA where the college colors are blue & white (Penn State) and the local high schools are blue & gold.

I hate to stain wood - I never have much luck getting a consistent color, but there just ain't any good blue woods. Is there a good color stain? I would probably be using it on aspen, white pine, or some other light-colored softwood.

I normally finish my intarsia pieces with satin, wipe-on/off poly; either Old Masters or General Finishes. So, the stain would have to survive that.
    The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

I just went through trying to find a darker blue stain for a project and both Sherwin Williams and Lowes offer a blue stain, but it goes more toward the lighter side instead of even a KC Royals blue.

I gave up and went to paint.

One option that was mentioned a couple of years back was using food coloring dyes as a stain.

Try this link:
    http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/woo...ting/16286.htm
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I use Minwax water based. You can get custom colors mixed if need be.

Comment

I have used Saman stains
        SamaN wood stain & AquaShine maintenance products [ Furniture stain and varnish | Wood floor cleaner, laminate floor cleaner ]

This my local Village logo that I made to be sold at a live auction.
        Holly, blue pine and the Saman blue stain.
        Attached Files
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
          I have used Saman stains
          SamaN wood stain & AquaShine maintenance products [ Furniture stain and varnish | Wood floor cleaner, laminate floor cleaner ]

This my local Village logo that I made to be sold at a live auction.
          Holly, blue pine and the Saman blue stain.
          That looks great! what wood did you use under the stain - the blue pine?
          The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Keda dyes are great too but not for as intense a color as Rolf shows. Most of mine are more of a washed effect.
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Think outside the box. Move out of Pennsylvania! ;^)

Comment

DecoArt has a medium that converts their acrylic paints into a semi-tranparent stain. It's cheap, works very nicely nicely and lets you choose from the hundreds of colors of their Americana line of paint. Once I started using that, I would never go back to anything else for small pieces.

It is called "Staining / Antiquing" medium. You can find it at most craft stores that carry the brand. Here it is on their website: Staining Medium
                Keith Fenton
                Scroll saw patterns @
                www.sheilalandrydesigns.com

Comment

I make a card like this for all of my projects that I gave away.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Rolf; 09-13-2014, 08:57 AM.
                  Rolf

Comment

For Blue I use Pilot Super Color Marker Refill Ink in blue. It is the ink used to refill the jumbo permanent ink markers. I usually thin it out a little with Xylene.

The stuff dries also at application.

Dave

Comment

Yikes! Xylene. It is a great solvent but not very nice at all.
                      Rolf

Comment

That is why God made latex gloves. It goes so fast I use it on my back stoop.

Dave

Comment

There have a lot of good wood stain product out nowadays in market like Vintage Blue stain, Ocean blue stain, Indigo, Azure etc. But Vintage blue stain is always first favorite one.
                          I think you shoul check this article here https://onwoodworkingart.com/blue-wood-stain/ to know more ideas about stain color.

Comment

I like using the acrylic paint and thinning it. Watercolors also work.

My Menards store seems to always have blue pine that will work in some cases.

Comment

When I did the birthday presents for the kids this year, I had about 5 different colors of blue, green, red, black and unicorn spit white stain. I kept mixing colors until I got what I wanted. What little staining I do I just mix paints until I get what I want. Would love to get some blue pine.
                              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X