X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gill
    replied
    Hi Mike

It's not a problem I've ever encountered and I'm wondering why it's hit you. Are you confident that there's nothing contaminating your palm sander, both on the abrasive and between the abrasive and its mount? If so, would it be worth applying a bit of sanding sealer and seeing if that helps?

I've certainly sanded oak satisfactorily way beyond 220 grit in the days when I sanded veneers for marquetry.

Gill

Leave a comment:

• Minnesota scroller
    replied
    My wife think it's just the grain. I ran my finger across some oak woodwork and a couple oak switchplate covers in the house, and wherever the grain shows, it feels rougher. Maybe that's the nature of oak. I've never worked with it before.

When I go out of town this weekend I'll be picking up a couple belts of 120 grit. While trying to research this on the net, I came across a Canadian wood working forum. They claim not to sand down oak beyond 150 grit. Some actually claim 120 is as far as you should sand. Something about damaging the soft grains or something.

Thanks guys, for your advice. I've noticed, when posting a question or looking for advice. only around 10% of the members that view the thread actually respond. I wonder why that is. I would think if they have time to read all the posts, they should have time to type a couple lines and submit. It could sure be helpful. However, I found another woodworking forum, which has over 18,000 members. I joined and posted the same question, looking for recommendations or advice on a router. The overwhelming response was actually less than 2% of the viewers. I noticed that 2 - 3% is common on that forum. If this forum was that bad, I wouldn't even bother with it. Although, I do wish more members would contribute a little.

Leave a comment:

• bearfretworks
    replied
    Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
    I planed some boards down today with my new handheld electric planer, which works nice, and then cut out an electrical outlet cover. WHAT IS MY PROBLEM?
    You mean other than NOT stack cutting?

Were the scratches in the wood before you started, or were they planer marks?? Or are they just the grain in the oak?

I sand all my stuff to finish grit before taping, drilling, and cutting. I usually start at 120, then 180, then 240. I wipe with mineral spirits between each grit to remove any "stray sand". I've found this speeds the process up.

80 is pretty course and can cause some deep scratches. I reserve it for semi-rough stuff, although I have been known to resort to 60 and even 40. Also, it is (IMHO) a big jump to 180. I'd go to 120 after 80.

Pictures of the problem would help as well.....

Leave a comment:

• Steviegwood
    replied
    Mike, I would suggest that you sand one side smooth ( the face side ) first before planing for thickness. A few minor planer marks on the back should'nt hurt. Steve

Leave a comment:

• Minnesota scroller
    started a topic Sanding oak

Sanding oak

Is it possible to eliminate all scratches in oak? I planed some boards down today with my new handheld electric planer, which works nice, and then cut out an electrical outlet cover. I then took it to my belt sander, which had an 80 grit belt, and sanded down the face a little. I then attempted to get it smooth with 180 grit on my palm sander. I worked so long at it that by the time I got done, I realized I didn't need the planer after all. I had effectively elimated 1/16" of the wood and still had the same scratches. It's hard to see them unless you hold it under a light just right, but when you push your fingernail across, you can feel them. What's up with this? I even tried 220 grit sand paper and that doesn't take enough off.

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM?

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X