coasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coasters

What finish is recommended for coasters? I assume it will need to be waterproof. Would danish oil be enough to protect it? How about this followed with Deft spray lacquer?
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Acrylic lacquer ought to be waterproof, but you'd need a good build-up, in which case poly varnish might do better for you.

I have some neat stuff, Minwax sanding sealer, which is a thin varnish for raising the grain and sealing before final sanding and finishing. I think a coat of that, sanding, and a coat of polyurethane spar varnish would do a great job on coasters.

Pete

Comment

I agree with Pete....go for a poly. In fact, I just read in Issue 26 of THIS magazine, that Minwax has a new poly out. Try that!!!

Unless you plan to eat off it, then it's a whole `nuther story..............but I ain't going there:biggrin_old:
      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Would Watco Danish oil and then poly suffice? I already use the oil on other products, which means only buying one more thing. Just like wood, I hate having too many different kinds around.
        Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
        www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Mike,

I make coasters on the lathe, and I finish them with a product called Patina.

I find this works better than just about any other finish I have tried, as it is impervious to water, hot coffee, red wine - just about anything that you care to mention.

The only snag may be that I don't know if it is available in the US.

Regards

Gary
          Gary

My saw - Axminster AWSF18

Comment

Id choose envirotex , like mentioned in your other thread, it would cure both of your problems. Dale
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I think a semi-gloss polyurethane would look great on your compact-mirror projects

Last edited by workin for wood; 01-09-2007, 04:57 PM.
              Jeff Powell

Comment

coasters

Originally posted by Taffy Turner
                Mike,

I make coasters on the lathe, Gary
                Are you just making them round on a lathe?
                Cathy
                Cathy

Comment

EnviroTex

As Dale mentioned, Envirotex would be a good choice, it is a two part epoxy, one thick coat equals 50 coats of varnish.

Its pour-on coating, its a high gloss, very durable, and chemical resistant coating.

Comment

Originally posted by cskipper
                    Are you just making them round on a lathe?
                    Cathy
                    Cathy,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I only just noticed your question.

Sometimes they are round, other times I just take a section of branch wood and part it off into thin slices (kind of like a salami), then the coaster ends up whatever shape the branch was - this works well with woods that have different colour heart and sap wood - like Yew for example.

Regards

Gary
                    Gary

My saw - Axminster AWSF18

Comment

Salami

Gary,

I like that idea...

Comment

I have used the Minwax wipe on poly on a rocking horse that I built and on a sign that I plan to put outdoors. I am really happy with the results. About $8 at Wally World.

Comment

I tried the Envirotex on coasters that I made for Christmas gifts. This made a very nice finish and worked well when the coasters were used for cold beverages. However, when a hot coffee mug was placed on the coaster, it was a different story. When you pick up your cup, the coaster sticks to the bottom of the mug!! Any other suggestions?
                          Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

Let me ask you a question, your saying this happened after the coffee/tea had been poured into the cup, when you went to pick up the cup, it stuck to the coating that was on the coaster.

Did you allow the pour - on " epoxy" coating enough time to fully cure before you put it into service.

I can see this happening if you took pot directly off the stove and put it directly on a coaster or trivet. But not if you poured the liquid into the cup, and then removed it.

Here, is a way that you might want to try, coat one side of the trivet or a coaster, leave the other side in the raw wood, when you using it for serving, use the raw wood side. When your using it for "show" use the side that is coated, you can use any coating that you have on hand.

www.macsimmons.com
                            Last edited by MacS; 04-29-2007, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Hans
                              Reply to Big week here
                              by Chuck Hans
                              Congrats on all accounts,
                              I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
                              Today, 08:51 PM
                            • cwmagee
                              Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                              by cwmagee
                              Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                              Today, 03:36 PM
                            • Sandy Oaks
                              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                              by Sandy Oaks
                              So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                              Today, 02:56 PM
                            • NC Scroller
                              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                              by NC Scroller
                              I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                              Today, 11:24 AM
                            • NC Scroller
                              Reply to Big week here
                              by NC Scroller
                              Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                              Today, 11:18 AM
                            Working...
                            X