wood stain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood stain

I used minwax wood red mahogany for a cross I had cut and the stain is still sticky after two day. HELP tks.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/saltydogwoodworks.buie

Look at the directions on what to use for clean up of brushes etc. If it lacquer thinner or paint thinner get a lint free rag (old T-shirt or shop towel) generously moisten the rag with proper solvent and wipe down your project and be sure it is not out in the cold. This should help to dilute the finish a little allowing it to dry. Sounds like your project is in an unheated space.

Let us know if that works.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

thanks mike I just took some of the stain off. think I had to much stain to start with. Thank you.
      http://picasaweb.google.com/saltydogwoodworks.buie

Comment

Glad it worked for you.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Minwax stain is meant to be applied heavily, allowed to soak in for a minute or 2, then the excess is wiped off. The color will be what it will be. Different woods will absorb the stain to varying degrees. Leaving a heavy coat on the surface or trying to apply multiple coats will likely end up producing the problem you describe

If you want a darker color, it's best not to sand too much. A surface sanded too smoothly with a high grit sandpaper, will absorb less stain than one that is sanded with say 150 grit sandpaper. The pigments in the stain need some crevices in the surface of the wood, in which to collect, to provide the color.
          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X