Balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance

How do you determine the proper balance point on odd-shaped pieces (like a welcome sign) that are not to be framed? This point would allow the piece to hang fairly straight on the wall.
    Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
    Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Hi Mike, I would run a screw into the backside of the piece where I thought the center might be. Hold it up on one finger and see if it tips one way or the other. I use the picture hangers with the notches in them so you can move the piece from side to side which works okay if you have it close to the center. You could hang it by installing an eye screw on each side and run a wire across the back like they use to hang pictures.
    Have a Happy New Year.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Just a thought, You could get a non marring quick release clamp and clamp the piece where you think the balance point is

Tie a string to the clamp and suspend it.
      You can release and re clamp as necessary. Once you have the center point mark it and fasten it with the appropriate fastener.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Carl, that is a great idea....and to think the solution to such a little problem has been hanging on the wall the whole time.
        Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Depending on the size of the piece, I cut keyhole slots on my router table for outdoor signs that will be hung on a wall. This keeps them "snug" and I don't have to worry about wind or snow knocking them down......

For smaller/thinner signs, I use small eye hooks and wire, kind of like a picture frame.
          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Originally posted by bearfretworks
            ...I cut keyhole slots on my router table...
            Likewise. I also use this technique on smaller pieces but instead of a proper router I use a Dremel multi-tool.

It's also possible to simply drill a hole in the backer board where you would otherwise want the hanger to go, and cut out a slot with your scroll saw to hang your project from! I've done that more times than I really ought to admit, and it works. However, you've got to think ahead and cut the slot before you fasten the backer to your project. You've also go to make sure that the cut won't remove a critical area of support.

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. I knew I could count on ya'll.
              Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
              Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Mike,

To determine the balance point, if it isn't too heavy, I usually just use my thumb and index.

Grab it close to where you think the point is, then don't squeeze too hard, but hard enough not to drop it, and "feel" for it to want to sway to one side or the other. You'll know when you have attained balance by feel.

Once you have determined that point, you can use some of the techniques described above to hang the piece.

I like to use a key slot but insead of using it as it should, I use it horizontally in the general center zone I previously determined (doesn't need to be precisely in the center as when it is used vertically) and make a slot horizontally.

The slot has 2 holes; where the bit enters and exits on the left and right sides, and I can use a screw on the wall with the head distant from the wall same as the depth of my slot. I insert the screw from one of the side holes and slide it in the slot until the piece is balanced. (Match the screw head size to the slot hole)

The piece is secure because the screw head is inside the slot. You need to slide the piece on the screw all the way so the screw head reaches one of the holes in order to be removed.

OR
                you can just use a nail and hang the slot on it.

Regards,
                Marcel
                http://marleb.com
                DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X