Can you paint over Danish Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you paint over Danish Oil

So after making some frames for things that I've cut recently. I got them all glued up and spent this last weekend staining them with Danish oil. After I finished the last one and was hanging it to dry with the other frames my wife comes down, looks at them and wants to know if we could just paint the frames different colors.

I'm hoping and/or guessing that once the Danish oil has dried that there should be no problem painting them.

Dan

Since Danish oil is not 100% tung oil and contains varathane. I would guess you can paint over it once it has cured for about 24 hours. I'd give it a try on a test piece first. Let us know what you learn.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hi Dan - you could use an oil based stained varnish. In deference to Mike I'd play safe and give the Danish Oil 3 days to cure completely, then rub it back slightly with a fine grade sandpaper, 400' or finer, just to cut the surface, then remove any dust and apply your varnish of choice. A Google search on oil based stained varnish will find a number of brands.

I also regularly use a polyurethane top coat on well cured natural tung oiled surfaces and haven't had problems to date.
      Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

To be certain that the paint will adhere to the danish oil, you could seal it with a coat of shellac. The Zinnser in the spray can would work well for this. Dewaxed shellac will stick to just about any other finish and just about any finish will stick to it. After the danish oil has fully cured (several days or once the smell goes away), hit it with a light coat or 2 of shellac. You can then safely use just about any paint you want to on top of the shellac.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Oil colors on oil... normally, when you have a layer of danish oil, only oil colors can be adhere correctly. But my thinking is more that of a painter than that a scroll saver...
          Best regards

Simon MARTIN
          From France

Visit My Gallery:Simon's Album

You can also look at my pyrography galery: Martin's Album

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
            Reply to Hope everyone had a safe holiday.
            by will8989
            Sorry to hear that Scott. Bruce had it but I never did. And I try to isolate from Bruce whenever I can. ūü§™ We were even around our son and grandson right before they were diagnosed and nothing for us. I guess I overdid the shopping Carole. I tried to sign onto our bank tonight and it is ‚Äútemporarily...
            Yesterday, 11:31 PM
          • Jim McDonald
            by Jim McDonald
            My saw is in a severe state of depression due to alleged abandonment. We have been clearing Becky's office since her retirement. She one of the last two original occupants of that new building in 2001, so it has been a lot of trips to the recycling bin with student thesis files, convention papers and...
            Yesterday, 07:07 PM
          • Redlee
            Hello all, new here.
            by Redlee
            New here and looking for some help and guidance on scroll work and saws.
            I have a Hegner M25S and have recently made some upgrades and would like to improve the blade clamping. So looking for ideas and help.
            Thanks
            Yesterday, 05:54 PM
          • Ralph123
            Reply to Clock hardware Kits.
            by Ralph123
            I didn't get the message. What address did you send it to?
            Yesterday, 02:05 PM
          • meflick
            by meflick
            Whatever therapy works for you - is a good therapy. Glad your touch/retail therapy was beneficial for you Betty.

Scott, I am so sorry to ear that you and your wife have both had to fight through Covid. I hope this means that you are both on your way to healing, if a bit slowly....
            Yesterday, 12:14 PM
          Working...
          X