Fiddel back maple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiddel back maple

fiddel back maple, or curly maple i all called it fiddel back after i plane it it has a lot of chips in sanding dont help a lot . Any ideals on how it get to not have the chips in it ?
    Hegner

Have you tried a sharp cabinet scraper or a scraper plane?

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Unfortunately sanding with progressive grits of sandpaper is the only way.
      The grain is unruly, which is why the figuring is so wonderful.
      You may try taking it to a cabinet shop and have them put it through a thickness sander.

I recently did a picture frame in curly maple and the sanding was endless.
      A thickness planer leaves chips and tearout.

Gill's cabinet scraper would work once you get the hang of it. I find the hardest part of the cabinet scraper is keeping the edge. I guess I need more practice.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

A couple of ways to reduce chip-out in highly figured woods are to feed the wood at an angle through the planer and take very light passes. Of course, a drum sander is the best option (unfortunately I don't have one....YET) but this 2 things helped me tremendously when planing some figured maple and curly cherry boards.
        Kevin
        Scrollsaw Patterns Online
        Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Thanks alot for all the infomation i try the angel in my thickness planer like you i dont have a drum sander yet , santa will make that happen . speaking of santa it just amazes me how all my friends and family stopes in to see u this time of year . i am just glad i got my wood shop done finaly it took all year to get it done i truned a 12 ft by 60ft old moble home into my wood shop diid all walls with half round maple cherry and ask boards looks like a log cabin on inside . but thank u all for your help.
          Hegner

Comment

Would love to see some pictures of that shop!
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Shop

I will take sum picture of my shop and all my work i have done over the year and post them . It will be after deer hunting is over it starts this sat hopefully i will fill my tags quick. key word hopefully lol
              Hegner

Comment

I agree with the cabinet scraper and the planing on an angle. You also have to spray the wood with water before planing...just put some water in a spray bottle, don't drown it. make light passes with sharp blades and spritz the wood before each pass, and the fiddleback will come out flawless. Drum sander is great, but fiddleback burns big time and gums up your sanding paper extra fast. I'm a firm believer in the drum sander, but the sharp planer with water is the fastest way with fiddleback maple. You think sanding a nick out is bad, a burn can be impossible to sand out. A well tuned cabinet scraper, that'll fix your problem this time around I'm sure.
                Jeff Powell

Comment

Thanks for the info. i never tried the water trick i give it a try , i have lota of fiddelback maple and sum cherry also .

Thanks again Indian saw man
                  Hegner

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                    Reply to New tools
                    by jim_mex
                    Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
                    Today, 05:26 PM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to New tools
                    by Rolf
                    Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
                    My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
                    Today, 04:32 PM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to Big week here
                    by Rolf
                    Yes you have had a great week.! It is really nice that your son shared this special moment. Regarding retirement, Almost 5 years for me, Never regreted my decision, not for an instant.
                    Today, 04:19 PM
                  • jim_mex
                    New PC keyboard has an error
                    by jim_mex
                    Partly because I have trouble seeing small letters with my one remaining eye and also because my existing wireless keyboard gave up the ghost a couple of days back I went out this morning and bought a new wired keyboard from our local Oice Depot.

I chose one with really big blue illuminated...
                    Today, 03:47 PM
                  • jim_mex
                    Reply to Big week here
                    by jim_mex
                    Hi Jim - A nice story regarding your son biting the bullet. Congrats to all!

Re your upcoming retirement. I wasn't really looking forward to mine but to be honest, apart from being home based due to this darn virus, I've gotten accustomed to getting up in the morning and deciding what I...
                    Today, 03:32 PM
                  Working...
                  X