sticky situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sticky situation

Having a problem with finishing my wood. It does not matter what I use, stain, oils, poly, or laquer. It never seems to dry completely. I have tried moving work into the house for cooler temps, leaving in garage for hotter temp it always seems to remain sticky to the touch.
    Is anyone else having this problem? Suggestion appreciated.

Sounds like a humidity problem.
    Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
    with a EX-21

Comment

Humidity is probably the most likely culprit. However, in order to weed out a few other potential causes; What kind of wood are you finishing? How much time between coats are you allowing? Are you having trouble with each finish independently or are you combining products on the same piece of wood? How old are the finishes?
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

thanks guys. I do live in a high humidity area, but I would have thought bringing it in the house would solve that problem. The stain, oils etc. are new. I have tried several types wood. pine, poplar, oak, blood wood, purple heart and others and get the same results on all. This happens with the first coat applied. If this is a humidity issue is there a way to resolve.

Comment

Either apply in a air conditioned area or use a dehumidifier in that room.
          Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
          with a EX-21

Comment

Generally speaking, finishes are more sensitive to humidity than temperature. Are you using fresh, new cans? Old finishes can take forever to dry, if they dry at all. Based on what you've described, that's about the only other variable that would impact the drying time in all those cases.
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

What kind of oils are you using? Tung oil? Mineral Oil? I thin mine with mineral spirits. It doesn't leave a gummy finish and dries within 24 hours. Also, blood wood and purple heart are rather hard woods and I find they don't take finishes well. Are you shaking the stains or stirring? They are supposed to be stirred to keep air bubbles from forming.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thanks Betty. I have not tried to thin any of the finishes. I use some tung oil but tend to use mostly danish oils. I have decided to just wait until we get to cooler weather and less humidity before finishing any more.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                  Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                  by NC Scroller
                  I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                  Today, 11:24 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  Reply to Big week here
                  by NC Scroller
                  Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                  Today, 11:18 AM
                • jim_mex
                  Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                  by jim_mex
                  Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                  Today, 09:17 AM
                • jim_mex
                  Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                  by jim_mex
                  Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
                  Today, 08:42 AM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                  by Rolf
                  WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
                  Today, 08:20 AM
                Working...
                X