X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple

what type of finish do the woodworkers like to use on maple linseed oil,
    tung oil,or watco danish oil.

For me it depends on the project. I used a satin gel varnish on my last curly maple project.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Like Rolf said, it depends. What look are you trying to achieve? What protective qualities does the piece require? What application method to you prefer? All of these factors help determine what finish is the right one for a particular project.

If you are looking to preserve the light color of the maple, then a waterborne finish may be preferrable over an oil or oil based, due to the way these products alter the color. If you have highly figured maple that you need to accentuate the grain, then you may choose differently. It may be a combination of products, working together to achieve a specific look.

Do you like a softer, hand rubbed look to your finish or do you prefer something with a higher gloss? Does the piece need to be protected from moisture, abrasion & wear or just need to look good? If you like to wipe on finishes, as opposed to brushing or spraying, then this will also affect your choices.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question, but the bottom line is that any finish will work on maple. Which one is the right one depends on what it is you want it to do for you.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Although I did not ask the question, that was a very informative, in depth answer Bill, and as Rolf mentioned....."it depends" is right on too.
        Thanks gentlemen.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thanks, WD.

Always nice to find out that my long-winded answers haven't bored everyone to death.
          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Thanks Bill you saved me from having to do all that typing.
            Last edited by Rolf; 07-13-2012, 06:49 AM.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Glad to be of service.

Comment

Bill
                Your answers are always very informative and NEVER boring.
                Dave
                "Tight's tight, too tight's broken"

My Gallery

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X